Residential course? - Forum

21/08/2014 11:39   Paolo

I'm wondering about the term 'residential' and what exactly it means? I have seen it and heard it spoken about, and I thought it meant attending the course at the premises of the institution, but then I got a response from somebody stating that residential implies doing the course at my home online? Bit confused as to how it can mean two completely different things??

RE: Residential course?
27/08/2014 15:32   Cecilia

Hi Paolo,

just as you suspected, "residential" means that the training company will also provide (or arrange for) accommodation on or near the training facilities. Of course, this option is only really applicable to courses that last for more than 1 day, but can be very useful and quite cost-effective in cases where participants are travelling substantial distances to train.

I suppose that "residential" could theoretically also mean "in the home" and thus refer to a distance learning or online course, but I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone use the term in this context.
Perhaps they said that you could complete it residentially? In that case it would be more understandable, though it does create a bit of confusion since the more popular meaning is definitely the first.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Cecilia, The Findcourses.co.uk Team

LOOKING FOR TRAINING?

Good news! findcourses.co.uk offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team. 

people-using-laptop-search-training

Request a free quote

APPRENTICESHIPS

Is your company looking to take on an apprentice?

choose-the-right-apprenticeship

Learn more