What training do you need for casework, counselling, home visits? - Forum

13/10/2014 09:36   bertha

I hold the following Job Description and have been working for the past 6 months withour prior training. What training program can you fix for me/us. - Casework interventions with families (receiving and investigating complaints, problems and proposing solutions); - Conducting counseling sessions with couples and families; - Carrying out home visits (casework, illness, new babies, delinquency, etc.); - Organizing educative talks to workers and their families on health and other social issues ; - Visiting patients in hospitals; - Writing reports of activities and proposing ways of improving services; - Participate in activities of SIES and quality

RE: What training do you need for casework, counselling, home visits?
16/10/2014 10:30   Course Adviser

Hi Bertha,

thank you for posting this question.

I have to say that I am a little bit worried when you say that you have been working for 6 months without training, since it appears that you work in a very challenging and high stress role in which training is definitely helpful, if not necessary.

May I ask which qualifications you currently hold? In the UK, social workers (and it sounds from your job description that this probably the title you have) are required to have a 3-year undergraduate or 2-year postgraduate degree approved by the Health & Care Professions Council in order to practice as social workers. For other related but distinct roles - such as Counsellor or Drug and Alcohol Worker - volunteering experience is often highly valued and it is not actually obligatory to hold any specific qualifications, but it is definitely useful.

This could be a QCF-recognised qualification in Counselling, Substance Abuse or perhaps even Health & Social Care more broadly, depeding on how your time is split between the various responsibilities you outlined below, and how you see you role developing in the future.

I hope your employer responds positively to your desire to train!

If you have more questions, do come back and post them here.

Best regards,

Findcourses.co.uk Team

Find training and courses within this category

LOOKING FOR TRAINING?

Good news! findcourses.co.uk offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team. 

people-using-laptop-search-training

Request a free quote

APPRENTICESHIPS

Is your company looking to take on an apprentice?

choose-the-right-apprenticeship

Learn more