Certified course - Cad or Autocad? - Forum

30/09/2014 15:28   tommy
I have extensive knowledge in the building industry and have recently been asked to carry out minor drawing works for small room amendments and extensions and would therefore like to attend a formal training course with certification in Cad or Auto Cad - whatever the difference is I do not know! anybody who knows??

RE: Certified course - Cad or Autocad?
09/10/2014 08:47   Course Adviser

Hi Tommy,

thanks for this question - I think it's a relevant one that is useful for many people just starting out in CAD.

CAD stands for Computer-Aided Design and basically refers to any computer program that helps you design, draft or model objects on a computer in 2D and/or 3D.
AutoCAD is the most popular of these programs and is owned by the company Autodesk, which also produces a number of other similar programs for the Engineering, Architecture & Construction industries. So CAD is a type of program and AutoCAD is a brand - to make an analogy, AutoCAD is to CAD what Tetley's is to tea.

AutoCAD is by far the most popular CAD program out there right now, but you can still find others if you so wish - Rhino is one example, MicroStation is another. Then you also have other Autodesk brands (Inventor and Revit, for example). It all depends on what you need it for, how much you will be using it, and the extent to which you need to collaborate and share designs with others (using the same program will facilitate integration).

Hope this is useful, let us know if you have any more questions.

Best,

The Findcourses.co.uk Team

Find training and courses within this category

LOOKING FOR TRAINING?

Good news! findcourses.co.uk offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team. 

people-using-laptop-search-training

Request a free quote

APPRENTICESHIPS

Is your company looking to take on an apprentice?

choose-the-right-apprenticeship

Learn more