Introduced in August 2016, these are the primary form of funding for adults over the age of 19 who are studying qualifications at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 in England. The purpose of the loan is to help learners pay for their course fees.
- Vary in size, staring at a minimum of £300 and paid directly to your college or training provider.
- Can pay for all or part of course.
- You can apply for up to 4 loans and you more than one can be awarded at the same time.
- Have to start being paid back when you've finished your course and earn over £21,000 per year.
You need to be:
- Living in the UK for at least 3 years
- Age 19 or over on the first day of your course
- Studying or planning to study a Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification
- Studying or planning to study with an approved training provider
You should know:
- This loan does not depend on your income
- This loan does not involve a credit check in order to receive it
- This is a loan, and not a grant, so you will need to repay your loan amount
It is important to bear in mind that these loans are only available for courses with colleges or training providers that have been approved for public funding. For more information on this, visit the UK government website and speak with the college or provider you would like to study with.