What are acting courses?
Acting courses take the shape of hands-on and practical workshops, intended to fully inspire and build your confidence when performing on stage, by providing you with all the necessary knowledge, skills, and tips required to improve your overall talent and make your performance act spectacular!
Generally, these courses consist of in-depth practical sessions, workshops, theatre visits, as well as performances in front of live audiences, which will help you build and develop as many skills as possible, both on stage as well as behind the scenes. With regards to the theoretical side of things, key subjects taught in class include:
- Dance, drama and singing workshops
- Acting technique
- Voice and speech
- Costume design
- Production technology
- Arts administration
- Understanding and developing characters
- Learn how to professionally approach a script like an actor
Throughout, great emphasis is given to group work and collaborations, with the aim of providing you with a more realistic view of the world of acting. When it comes to the final grades, formal assessment is carried out on the aforementioned practical work as well as theory, which customarily takes the form of a computer-based examination.
Why should you take up an acting course?
If you’ve only recently discovered this passion for acting, or have been dreaming of getting up on stage and performing in front of an audience ever since you were a child, then this is the time for you to take action!
The only thing you should keep in mind is that some kind of acting classes are definitely required if you want to break into the industry, as chances are that you will probably not be able to make it alone. Do not let this scare you off however, as you have come to the right place!
A quick search through our search engine will help you find and choose from over 70 acting courses, from introductory courses to advanced ones, you will definitely find something that ideally suits you and your goals.
What and how will you learn through these acting courses?
An acting course is generally comprised of several areas which will provide you with all there is to know about the area, and together, will get you all geared up and ready for the world of performance. Some of the core aspects covered include:
- Voice, movement and text-based work
- Devised ensemble performance
- Approaches to acting techniques
- Investigating practitioners’ work
- Developing skills and techniques for live performance
- Performing arts within a community
Following the completion of the curriculum, you will be assessed through public performances (e.g. plays and improvisation sessions), internal assessments (e.g. auditions and technique assignments), as well as research and written tests.
By the end, you will therefore have:
- Performed a variety of texts and scripts in a supportive and friendly environment
- Tried on different characters including voice and physicality
- Use professional techniques to strengthen acting skills and develop confidence
- Prepared and performed several monologues
- Developed trust during group work, through drama games and exercises
- Built your confidence when acting in front of others
- Built your knowledge of communication skills used in the craft of acting
Where are classes offered and how much do they cost?
From institutions to universities, these courses are often offered in various ways and locations, giving you the option to choose the one that best suits you.
Fees for these courses differ greatly too, so you shouldn't think twice about signing up, even if you are on a limited budget − we have a course at any price point!