What are linguistics courses?
If you’re a linguaphile who loves analysing a language's form, meaning, and different contexts, then this course is definitely for you! Throughout, you will be going through the history of the English language, as well as its phonetics, morphology, syntax, and semantics.
With the help of extensive reading material, detailed lectures, as well as engaging group discussions, you have the opportunity to learn all about the significance of literature and its impact over the years, the skills of close textual analysis, and a detailed overview of literary criticism.
Great emphasis is given to both group discussions and individual assignments, with the aim of providing you with a more academic view on the world of linguistics. When it comes to the final grades, formal assessment is carried out on the aforementioned practical work as well as theory, which customarily takes the form of essay questions.
Why should you study linguistics?
There are several reasons as to why you should definitely consider taking up one of the many linguistics courses offered through our website. For instance:
- It helps you to understand our world: comparing the origins and structures of the many languages spoken around the world will result in a greater understanding of the many communities around us. This knowledge can then be applied towards an improvement in communication between people, in areas such as learning new languages, translation activities, assisting in literacy efforts, and treating speech disorders.
- It helps to empower people: as the world rapidly develops, English is becoming more and more widely considered as our 'World Language'. This means that many minorities that cannot access education in their native language are slowly becoming outcasts and trapped in a cycle of poverty and discrimination. With the help of linguists, these diminishing languages are therefore getting the chance to properly develop and grow accustomed to the changing social, cultural, political, and economic needs and goals, giving their speakers plenty of time and opportunities to learn and make the shift too.
Skills gained from linguistics courses are not only highly valued by universities and employers alike, but could also potentially bring you a step closer to a new and exciting career in education. So, whether you’re aiming to become a master linguist, brush up on your English language skills, studying for an important exam or simply for your own personal interest, these courses have everything that a language lover will need. So, go ahead and have a look around on our website, and see which one is most suitable to your level and needs!
What will you learn through a linguistics course?
Applying to one of these linguistics courses comes with heaps of benefits that will undoubtedly enhance your skills and interest in the field. Through detailed individual attention and guidance as well as plenty of practical experience, tutors will help you to build confidence and improve your work through constructive criticism and tips, allowing your skills to prosper.
The curriculum for these linguistics courses are comprised of several key areas which will teach you all there is to know about the area, and together, will make you a language expert! The core modules offered include:
- Phonetics and Phonology: the study of speech sounds and the systems for combining them
- Syntax: the study of grammatical structure
- Semantics: the study of meaning
- Sociolinguistics: the study of how social factors relate to language variation and change
- Psycholinguistics: the study of how the human mind learns and processes language
How can you enrol to a linguistics course, and where?
A quick search through our website will help you find numerous linguistics courses all over the UK. From institutions to universities, to online, these classes are offered in various ways, giving you the option to choose the most ideal channel that best suits you!
In a Classroom
A classroom course usually takes place at pre-designated institutions, colleges, or universities, providing the ideal choice for those who have a liking for hands-on practice in an academic setting.
Online classes are also an option, ideally for those who have a busy schedule and favor flexibility. In this case, you can freely participate in the course at your own pace and on your own time, without any restrictions whatsoever!