Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Achieved Safety Instrumented Functions (SIL): 2 Day Training course for Engineers and Designers
This Achieved Safety Instrumental Functions (SIL) training course aims to provide delegates from the engineering and design industry with a thorough grounding in the underlying principles of the IEC 61511 functional safety standard.
Using a combined training approach involving both lectured learning and practical exercises this course guides delegates through basic principles to advanced issues relating to SIL (Safety Instrumented Functions.)
Delegates can expect the following learning outcomes from completing this course:
- Understand the concepts underpinning SIL calculation
- Identify what information is essential before starting the SIL calculation
- Apply correct formulae for serial or parallel instrument configurations
- Derive instrument failure rates from commonly available sources
- The benefits and disadvantages of manufacturers certificates
- Appreciate the complexities of a ‘human in the loop’
- What checking and approval is needed for different Safety Integrity Levels
- Calculate the SIL
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is aimed at engineers and designers involved in calculating or verifying the performance of new or existing safety instrumented functions.
Training Course Content
This Achieved Safety Instrumental Functions (SIL) training course follows the following training agenda:
SIL as part of functional safety
- Why do we need functional safety and safety instrumented systems?
- Functional safety standards; IEC61511 and IEC61508
- ‘Three Steps’ to SIL; SIL Determination, Achieved SIL, Operations and Maintenance
Setting the target SIL
- Risk and risk reduction
- Reminder of hazard identification and SIL determination
Safety requirement specification
- Information to be specified to design group or external company
Designing a Safety Instrumented Function
- Safe and dangerous failures
- The relationship between instrumentation and SIL
- Use of basic calculations
- Humans and alarms as part of Safety Instrumented Functions
- Importance of dangerous failure rates for instrumentation
- Instrument data sources and instrument certificates
Testing as part of the SIF Design
- High and low demand rate safety functions
- Time to test and errors introduced during testing
- Relationship between PFDavg, instrument failure rates and test intervals
Advanced architectures (1oo2, 2oo3) and constraints
- Hardware fault tolerance
- Diagnostic coverage and safe failure fraction
- More on manufacturers certificates
- Systematic controls
- Common cause and common mode failures
- Sharing equipment between SIF and Control system
- Testing final elements and partial testing
Installation and commissioning
- Validation, verification, audits and functional safety assessment
Operate and Maintaining the Safety Instrumented Functions
- Proof testing requirements
- Overrides and bypasses
- Maintenance and modification
- Importance of recording and reviewing demands and test results
This Achieved Safety Instrumental Functions (SIL) training course is priced at £1,220 +VAT per delegate.
Enquire for in-house training options and group rates.
ABB Consulting technical training courses - providing in-depth knowledge on key engineering subject areas
ABB Consulting is part of the global ABB Group of companies currently operating in over 100 different countries. In the UK, ABB operates from more than 20 locations and is nationally renowned as a leader in power and automation technologies that...