This package of gas training, portfolio placement and ACS assessment is for New Entrants looking to access the gas industry and is aimed particularly at those who do not have a comprehensive background with regards to pipe-work, those who cannot demonstrate that they have dealt with copper pipe and low carbon steel in detail those who do not have a Plumbing (or related trade) qualification. This course covers all of the stages required in order to get to the point of registering with Gas Safe.What Youll Learn
Stage 1 Training
You will learn the skills that are required for you to eventually be in a position to register with Gas Safe. This package of learning is devised to take you step by step through the various training in the essential skills required to become a safe and competent Gas Engineer.
This 7 week package of learning will include:
- Training on aspects of health and safety relevant within the gas industry, including asbestos awareness
- Training to work safely around electrical systems
- Training in the use of copper and low carbon steel so that your pipe skills are established at an acceptable standard.
- Training on heating controls, Airing cupboard and radiator installation practices
- Training in all areas of domestic gas safety
Examples of what will be taught across this 7 week training course are:
- Cutting and measuring copper tube accurately
- Pipe-work preparation for soldering
- Soldering techniques / Practicing soldering / soldering assessments
- X and Z dimension calculations
- Cutting assembling and soldering practice frames to specific dimensions
- How to assemble compression fittings / compression fitting assessments
- The use of different types of jointing pastes for compression jointing
- Cutting assembling and jointing compression fittings frames to specific dimensions
- Cutting and treading low carbon steel pipe
- Jointing steel pipe
- The use of different fittings on steel pipe
- All pipe-work is tested to 3 bar for 3 min
- Hot and cold water theory
- Heating Controls theory
- Different types of heating systems
- Different types of heating controls and their functions
- Fixing a simulated combination boiler jig
- Fixing all necessary pipework
- Running pipework under floors
- Marking out and fixing radiators simulating ground and upper floors
- Water testing
- Positioning an indirect cylinder in an airing cupboard
- Connecting cold water supplies to a cylinder
- Hot water pipework from the cylinder
- Cold water distribution from a simulated loft area
- Tightness Testing
- Pipework requirements
- Pipe sizing
- Gas rates / Heat inputs
- Appliance installation and servicing
- Unsafe situations
There will be written exams and practical assessments throughout the 7 weeks. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be provided with a Bpec Foundation Portfolio and guidance for completion.
Stage 2 - Work Placement (Portfolio Completion) - Work based Competence and Gas Portfolios
Following completion of this 7 week gas programme, you will be deemed competent to undertake supervised gas work and so the next step towards Gas Safe registration will be to demonstrate your competence in the work place and you do this by working alongside a Gas Safe Registered Engineer who acts as your on-site recorder/verifier, helping you to build a portfolio of evidence and prove your competence and safety working with Gas.
Able Skills will place you with a Gas Safe registered Engineer employed byBoiler Medicand with their assistance, you will undertake a variety of gas work on a variety of appliances to meet the requirements of the portfolio to move you on to your formal gas assessments (ACS). You will receive guidance throughout on how the portfolio evidence should be recorded.
Boiler Medic Engineers understand what is required for the portfolio and will ensure the completed portfolio meets the required standards. The range of work will without doubt meet the requirements of the portfolio but with additional experiences being made available to you:
- Repair boilers and fault finding compliments the Able skills Boiler Fault Finding course and adds to your understanding and knowledge of boilers.
- Plumbing and heating work you will undertake all plumbing and heating work ranging from blocked drains, toilet repairs, fitting new taps and showers all the way to installing and replacing a complete heating system.
- Many properties visited have old appliances which are not available to buy any more, also pipework runs differently in every single house so experience in different houses will enable you to identify heating circuits, how and where to drain and fill them up from and things to watch out for if they are being upgraded or replaced.
Advantages of working on site with an experienced gas engineer is that you will come across a variety of different scenarios which are very difficult to replicate in a college environment, also issues will arise which will prepare you for the outside world once you go out on the road as a gas engineer. Dangerous situations will be found, leaks will happen, and you will be able to remember what you did at that time to resolve them or if they could be resolved.
The basic amount of work required to complete a portfolio is only enough to complete the course and will not in many instances enable you to be suitably experienced enough to seek employment without gaining further experience.Therefore, Boiler Medic have devised this placement to provide you with additional experience so that following your ACS, your skills and knowledge will enable you to confidently seek work within the gas industry.
Other companies seek or guarantee a work placement but once the student leaves the centre they are not spoken to again until they return to undertake ACS. With Able Skills, the Engineers and staff at Boiler Medic will remain in regular contact and ensure that they keep you up to date and complete your portfolio in good time, ensuring you have a wealth of experience and knowledge when you return to take your exams. The owner of Boiler Medic completed the ACS program through Able Skills 9 years ago and has been running this business successfully since then. He has now decided to help new entrants trained by Able Skills as he believes that this is the most comprehensive gas training course on the market today.Not only will Boiler Medic ensure you have the most comprehensive portfolio placement available in the UK, they could also offer you the opportunity of a job and will definitely provide you with a work referenceshould you require it which will demonstrate experience to any new employers.
Stage 3 - ACS (Approved Certification Scheme) - Core Domestic Gas Safety including Appliances
CCN1will need to be completed before you are eligible for Gas Safe registration and this is a requirement for all operatives involved in the installation, maintenance and servicing of domestic gas appliances and pipe-work installations.
The purpose of this Training/Assessment is to provide operatives with the knowledge and skills relating to safety regulations, procedures and British Standards, which must be applied when working on Gas Installations.
Initial assessment forCCN1 will require 5 daysand will cover:
- Gas Safety Regulations, British Standards and Manufacturers' Instructions
- Emergency Procedures, Labels and Warning Notices
- Unsafe Situations, and Related Documentation
- Combustion, Gas Rates, Burner/Installation Pressures
- Testing for Tightness, Purging and Relighting Appliances
- Pipework and Fittings
- Operation of Appliance Gas Safety Devices and Controls
- Flueing Standards, Installation and Testing.
CCN1 is a prerequisite for the various appliances available:
The Appliances to be covered on assessment will be determined by the evidence you have gained during your work placement and portfolio building.
*If candidates fail to achieve the required level of competency in either the practical or theory assessment, it may be necessary for them to re-sit the sections which they have failed. If this situation arises an additional cost will be incurred.How Youll Learn
The 7 week training aspect of this package will be taught using both workshop and classroom delivery.
Classroom sessions are delivered in conjunction with a comprehensive colour training manual, supported by power point presentation, visual aids and training rigs.
Practical sessions are undertaken in any one of our 3 comprehensively equipped workshops. All of our training bays contain a range of different gas appliances ensuring that you have the opportunity to work on boilers, cookers, heaters, water heaters and gas meters. We have a range of new and older appliances to reflect reality to ensure that all candidates gain an appreciation of as many gas appliances as possible.
All gas instructors employed by Able Skills are industry served Gas Engineers they have a combined wealth of industry knowledge as well as years of experience teaching gas and related subjects.
Progress is monitored with regular practical and written assessments and all evidence is recorded and retained for any Governing body to view at any time; these strict control methods safeguard all candidates and assessors and ensure that accurate, quality Gas training is delivered.
Work Placement (Portfolio Completion)
Part of the process to becoming Gas Safe registered is to prove competence working on various aspects of gas.This will need to be undertaken under the supervision of a Gas Safe registered Engineerwhereby a portfolio is completed detailing the gas work that has been done, supported by photographic evidence and signed by your Gas Safe registered Engineer. Able Skills are able to arrange this placement for you with established company,Boiler Medic, taking the hassle out of you searching for a suitable Gas Safe Engineer.
ACS (Approved Certification Scheme)
During this final hurdle, you will undertake assessment to achieve CCN1 (Core Gas Safety) and then any appliances which you are eligible to undertake (this is determined by the evidence in your work based portfolio). Able Skills is approved by BPEC for the purposes of Gas Assessment and successful candidates will receive certification for their CCN1 and Appliances from Bpec.Courses Open To You After
Able Skills offers aCentral Heating Controls, Wiring and Boiler Fault Finding Coursewhich will be useful to you either during your portfolio placement or very soon after. We are also accredited for Commercial Gas so later on; you may wish to undertake our 3 weekChangeoverprogramme giving you access to other areas of gas work. Alternatively, you may frequently find yourself in a position where customers require plumbing work to be done so you could consider achieving alevel 2 Plumbing qualification.Additional Info
Able Skills is very proud of the training we provide for potential gas course candidates and we are very conscious that getting it wrong can be fatal. This particular programme of learning has been devised to ensure thatfrom the start, individuals are given the opportunity to work towards becomingcompetent and safe Gas Engineers; all of the Gas training we provide is arranged to identify an individual's suitability for the Gas industry and to assist them in achieving the required standards to work within the Gas industry.
Our qualified team of Gas Trainers and Assessors will provide guidance, support and assistance in a realistic environment to build confidence and competence so that you are ready to undertake your work placement.
The portfolio placement we are offering is completely bespoke. Naturally it will meet the portfolio requirements but unlike any other placement available, it will give you so much more to ensure, without a doubt, you are industry ready, competent and confident.
Training to achievethis Bpec Foundation Certificate (Domestic Gas Safety) is a requirement to ensure knowledge of changes to legislation, British Standards and industry best practice.If you come under the category of New Entrant, this is the correct and recognised route to take to get you started.
If you remain unsure of your suitability for the Gas industry or you would like to speak to someone on a more personal level, please feel free to get in touch for some expert advice or if you would like to view the facilities at Able Skills, please feel free to visit us at any time.Location
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £20 per night.
We are open 7 days a week(08.30 16.30) for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.Duration & Cost
The cost for this New Entrant Gas Package 2 is £3645.00 including VAT.A placement with Boiler Medic for the portfolio will then be arranged.
Full time:A £500.00 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid as follows:
- 7 weekly payments of £327.85.
- For the portfolio, we will pass your details to Boiler Medic to arrange the placement (aseparate fee will be payable directly to Boiler Medic).
- The remainder for ACS can be paid in 2 instalments: 1 at £300.00 and then the balance at £550.00.
Part time (weekends):A £1000 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid as follows:
- 9 instalments of £199.44.Weekend training is structured on a 2 weekend on and 2 weekend off basis.
- For the portfolio,we will pass your details to Boiler Medic to arrange the placement (a separate fee will be payable directly to Boiler Medic).
- The remainder for ACS can be paid in 2 instalments: 1 at £300.00 and then the balance at £550.00.
Able Skills are accredited training providers delivering qualification training from City & Guilds, Construction Awards Alliance, EAL, CITB for gas training and assessment and NICEIC and BPEC for Renewable Technologies. Able Skills are amongst the few training providers who can offer...
Find out more about this New Entrant Gas Training Package 2 course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!