British Sign Language - Beginners
To enable learners to understand and use simple BSL phrases, and exchange information in familiar situations, using BSL.
Upcoming start dates
Online delivery option may be available - Please contact provider.
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
Who is this course for?
This course is for complete beginners (with no prior knowledge of the language)
Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn BSL - we can give you advice &information about how you can improve these skills.
BSL competence standards include requirements for learners to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
Training Course Content
You will be able to:
- Understand and communicate in simple BSL when meeting familiar and unfamiliar people
- Address, greet and take leave of another BSL user
- To finger spell for names of people and places; and recognise others’ finger spelling
- Use strategies for asking for clarification and polite conventions
- Ask and respond to simple questions in BSL order
- Demonstrate BSL features (BSL order, placements, referents, enumeration, non-manual features, facial expressions, handshapes and movement, timelines)
- Know basic numbers system for telling the time, age, money and dates
- Sign simple affirmative and negative phrases
- Ask for and give relevant personal information about self or others
- Describe different ways of travelling
- Ask for directions, giving and describing directions in familiar places or buildings
- Commenting on the weather
At Birmingham Adult Education Service their aim is to make a difference. Offering courses such as English, Math, Health & Social Care and Art, BAES has a vision to become an outstanding provider of community learning and skills. Whether you're...