British Sign Language - Improvers - Module 1
To enable learners to understand and use simple BSL phrases, and exchange information in familiar situations, using BSL.
Upcoming start dates
Online delivery option may be available - Please contact provider.
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for anyone who:
- Has completed an ABC Entry 3 Award in British Sign Language
- Has completed a Beginners course in BSL
- Has studied BSL for up to 25 hours
BSL competence standards include requirements for learners to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
Some literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn a language. We can give you guidance and support to acquire these.
Training Course Content
You will be able to:
- Understand signed communication and questions asked in a given range of topics; recognising and finger spelling back
- Use BSL to communicate on a given range of topics, such as describing people; hobbies and interests of self and others
- Be able to maintain a basic social conversation in BSL, taking turns in a conversation, using eye contact and eye gaze
- Produce BSL features correctly (BSL order, placements, referents, enumeration, non-manual features (eyebrows, head shaking/nodding), appropriate facial expressions matching emotions, handshapes and movements, location/position, direction/orientation; sign pace and flow), finger spelling correctly mouthing names,
- Give, ask for and understand information about people, pets, furniture and objects, (size, colour, shape and location)
- Give, ask for and understand information relating to age, time, money and calendar information
- Give, ask for and understand information about interests and activities of self and others
- Give, ask for and understand information about food and drink
At Birmingham Adult Education Service their aim is to make a difference. Offering courses such as English, Math, Health & Social Care and Art, BAES has a vision to become an outstanding provider of community learning and skills. Whether you're...