British Sign Language - Improvers - Module 2
To enable learners to understand and use simple BSL phrases, and exchange information in familiar situations, using BSL.
Upcoming start dates
Online delivery option may be available - Please contact provider.
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for anyone who:
- Has completed an ABC Entry 3 Award in British Sign Language
- Has completed a Beginners course in BSL
- Has studied BSL for up to 25 hours
BSL competence standards include requirements for learners to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
Some literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn a language. We can give you guidance and support to acquire these.
Training Course Content
You will be able to:
- Understand another BSL user, and ask/answer simple questions about everyday work or social situations
- Produce BSL features correctly (signing space, signing pace and flow, BSL order, placements, referents, enumeration, non-manual features (eyebrows, head shaking/nodding), appropriate facial expressions matching emotions, handshapes and movements, location/position, direction/orientation, finger spelling correctly mouthing names for people, places and objects
- Be able to take part in a basic conversation in BSL, taking in turns using appropriate eye contact and eye gaze of 4-5 minutes duration:
- Getting around, give, ask for and understand directions in a building, describing familiar places and buildings, giving and asking for information on travel and transport in relation to everyday activities; work/social sitations
- Sharing information about people,, everyday life, daily routines
- Commenting on and describing different types of weather in context with everyday situations
At Birmingham Adult Education Service their aim is to make a difference. Offering courses such as English, Math, Health & Social Care and Art, BAES has a vision to become an outstanding provider of community learning and skills. Whether you're...