Strategic Leadership Development - Business Strategy, Leadership and Risk Management for Senior Executives
Strategy and risk are two of the most important responsibilities for board directors. “Strategy” can be a vague concept that needs a process to enable it to achieve the necessary focus to then be translated into aligned, measurable plans to be able to communicate clearly to everyone. “Leadership” can be equally vague and needs to be understood as a driver of change to allocate and direct resources so that the desired return on capital can be achieved and sustained. Strategic risk is related to, but distinct from, operational risk. Please note, we welcome delegates from the private, public, and third (voluntary) sectors as well as quasi-governmental organisations that are expected to operate commercially while adhering to political goals or constraints.
This course explores practical approaches to developing strategic thinking and analysis skills and implementing a strategic management process. It develops a deeper understanding of corporate governance, covering the strategic role of the board and the approach of the company towards risk. We combine these two perspectives to offer a systemic view of leadership and management.
Our evidence-based and highly practical training approach helps improve strategic thinking ability and increase confidence in managing responsibilities in the context of the organisation’s goals and the industry it operates in.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Board directors in an executive or non-executive role, senior managers, analysts, regulators, and other professionals who:
- Have, or will have, the responsibility to translate organisational strategy into effective performance to deliver results.
- Need to better understand the differences between operational management roles and strategic management roles in areas such as thinking approaches, reconciling 'top-down' planning with lean and agile approaches.
- Want to develop their understanding of strategic risk management.
- Evaluate organisations for their long-term success and potential to increase value for stakeholders.
- Want to develop their strategic leadership competencies.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Some key outcomes reported by delegates who have attended this course include:
- Clarity about the elements of direction and strategy including purpose, mission, strategy, goals, key result indicators, vision and values.
- A deeper understanding of key elements of direction and governance, such as: accountability, stakeholder management, transparency, leadership, risk management.
- Understanding universal principles to steer organisations on behalf of key stakeholders.
- Improved capacity to work in global and multi-cultural contexts.
- Insights into the reasons why conflicts between strategic leaders and operational managers are inevitable and how to utilise them for the benefit of all.
- Understanding of the difference between corporate and business strategy.
- Appreciation of the importance of the idea “competitive strategy“ and where other concepts such as the resource-based view and business models fit
- Better understanding of personal strengths as a strategic thinker, leader and manager and areas for further development
Training Course Content
Day 1 & 2: Strategy formulation, implementation and management
- Strategy definition and concepts
- A Strategic Management System
- Strategic analysis
- Strategic planning and strategic thinking
- Strategy evaluation and choice
- Strategy communication and implementation
- Organisational change and business transformation
Day 3 & 4: Strategic Leadership and Risk Management
- Corporate governance concepts and developments
- The Emerging Markets universe – selected jurisdictions
- The board’s strategic role
- Director’s roles and responsibilities
- Frequent dilemmas for board directors – real-life cases from emerging markets
- Review of toolkit and handbooks
Day 5: Developing for the future
- The difference between simple and complex problems
- Understanding complexity
- Solving complex problems with Systems Thinking
- Creative thinking techniques
The non-residential course fees includes:
- training facilities
- refreshments for the duration of the programme
Delegates are responsible for arranging their own travel, visas, and accommodation, however, a list of convenient hotels can be provided when you register. We will work in small groups of 10 delegates maximum.
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Cambridge Management Sciences - Business Training Courses & Bespoke Learning and Development Services
Cambridge Management Sciences specialise in evidence-based consultancy, organisation development and personal development for business teams and individual professionals who are involved with implementing strategy, aligning their organisations to deliver strategy or managing the people and process aspects of change and transformation....
Find out more about this Strategic Leadership Development course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!