Strategic planning and thinking skills
Strategic planning is about getting your team, department or organisation where it needs to go. Starting from knowing where you are and moving to where you want to get to, our Strategic planning and thinking skills course takes you right through the strategic planning process with helpful tools, techniques and ideas for every stage to enhance your strategic thinking skills.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Our Strategic planning and thinking skills course is suitable for managers with strategic planning responsibility. Although the emphasis is on corporate or organisation-wide planning, the tools and techniques covered will have value for business unit or departmental managers.
Training Course Content
- defining what 'strategic' means
- using the strategic planning process to help you make choices about the future nature and direction of your organisation
- assessing the benefits and risks of strategic planning
- preparing for the planning process including developing a project plan, identifying your stakeholders
- the value of stakeholder involvement at every phase
- undertaking a strategic review to determine ‘where are we now?' including stakeholder research, collaborator/competitor analysis and understanding when and how to use analytical tools such as SWOT, PEST and the Boston Consulting Group matrix to understand your organisation and its environment
- thinking about the relationship between outputs, outcomes and impact
- identifying strategic direction
- taking a fresh look at what your organisation is, what it does, and why
- clarifying mission, vision, values and direction of travel
- recognising the relationship between organisation strategy and brand identity, and aligning the two
- recognising how the findings of the review will impact on the organisation's strategic direction
- setting strategic objectives
- establishing success criteria
- listing priority areas for action and developing objectives
- applying SMART strategic thinking skills
- using outcomes-based tools
- implementing the strategy
- understanding the key factors involved in implementing strategy
- using action planning tools such as logical frameworking, action planning grids and planning wheels
- communicating your strategic plan
- undertaking effective monitoring and evaluation
- understanding the difference between monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
- identifying the indicators, and how to measure their achievement
- recognising emergent approaches to monitoring and evaluation such as participatory, real-time, balanced scorecard
This course also includes a year of free support from your trainer.
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
Strategic planning is about getting your team, department or organisation where it needs to go. One of our trainers discusses what the course involves and what you'll get from the day.
Centre for Strategy and Communication
We specialise in affordable and effective face-to-face training in management, communication, administration, personal effectiveness and writing skills delivered by a team of industry experts. Our training is stretching, motivating and tailored to the individual learner. For over two decades we’ve...
Find out more about this Strategic planning and thinking skills course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!