Supervision skills: managing people and teams
Performance management is perhaps one of the biggest concerns of managers - it is a key responsibility for anyone who has a line management role, and, along with motivating and dealing with staff development, is an integral part of that role.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This people and performance management training is for team leaders, and those who have line management responsibility. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
Training Course Content
- distinguish a team from a group and understand what makes a 'team'
- use different skills for different types of team (inc. self directed teams and remote teams)
- recognise the front-line skills you need as a manager
- apply principles of management to different situations
- assess the management culture of your own organisation, and compare this with best practice
- motivate your team and manage performance by
o using different management styles, tailored to the individual and the situation
o setting clear, understandable targets and evaluating performance against them
o understanding how to motivate people at work
o distinguishing between motivators and ‘hygiene factors'
o understanding 'management behaviours'
o relating staff development to motivation and identifying different ways of assisting staff development
o offering constructive feedback to improve performance
o linking formal procedures to performance management
- manage your team by
o understanding the factors which enable a group to bond as a team
o setting goals, showing how these link to corporate and individual goals and encouraging your team to achieve the
o seeing which management behaviours promote team bonding
o recognising the key role of communication in team leadership
o understanding how to delegate
- provide support and boundaries
o successfully managing friends and/or former peers
o establishing and maintaining boundaries
o supporting staff in different situations including health/personal difficulties
- use different communication styles and methods to manage your own manager
- the role of mediation in the manager's toolkit, and how to use it appropriately
- a year of free support
Centre for Strategy and Communication
We specialise in affordable and effective face-to-face training in management, communication, administration, personal effectiveness and writing skills delivered by a team of industry experts. Our training is stretching, motivating and tailored to the individual learner. For over two decades we’ve...
Find out more about this Supervision skills: managing people and teams course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!