Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Discrimination and the Law - 1 day course - CIPD Training
The Equality Act 2010 has streamlined existing discrimination law and introduced new concepts and provisions for employers. This course will help you ensure your organisation is legally compliant, whilst bringing you up to date on the latest developments in case law.
Suitability - Who should attend?
HR practitioners or line managers responsible for employment law issues within their organisation. No prior knowledge of the law relating to discrimination is required.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of the Discrimination and the Law course, you'll be able to:
- identify the legal principles related to discrimination law and provide advice and guidance to your organisation
- understand the key provisions of the Equality Act
- advise your organisation on recent legal developments.
All CIPD Training programmes can be run in-house, where we can tailor the content to your organisation’s unique needs.
Training Course Content
- Equality Act 2010
- Sources of discrimination law
- European laws
- Domestic laws
- Statutory bodies
- Who has protection from discrimination laws?
- How and when can discrimination occur?
- Legal liability
- The shifting burden of proof
- Secondary liability - the employer's defence
- Personal liability
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sex – including Equal Pay
- Sexual orientation
- Caste – update on introduction
Different types of discrimination
- Direct discrimination
- Indirect discrimination
- Associative discrimination
- Perceptive discrimination
- Discrimination arising from disability
- Positive action
- Occupational requirements
- Public sector duties
Terminating the employment relationship
- Discriminatory grounds for dismissal
- Dismissing on the grounds of disability
- Resignations and constructive dismissal
- Redundancy – selection and consultation
- Time limits
- Equal pay audits
- The role of acas
Programme is subject to change pending new developments.
Non-member Fee: £545 + VAT
CIPD Member Fee: £490 + VAT
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...