Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Finance for Non-financial ManagersCIPD Training
Finance for Non-financial Managers - 2-day course by CIPD Training
This practical Finance for Non-financial Managers course is designed to help you develop your understanding of the financial aspects of business, adding to your managerial skill-set.
The two-day programme will help you improve your financial knowledge, understand how your decisions affect and are affected by the organisation's financial performance, and contribute to the improvement of the organisation's financial performance. The course will:
- Demystify financial jargon
- Explore key ratios
- Examine key trends & areas for concern
- Identify future issues
- Explore how to plan and budget for future threats and opportunities
By the end of the course, you will have an improved understanding of key financial principles and statements, and the ability to leverage this information more effectively in your day-to-day work and decision-making activities.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is designed for existing and aspiring managers who wish to further their understanding of how decisions affect an organisation’s financial performance.
The course is relevant to the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
Training Course Content
- Introductions and course objectives
- Participants’ own needs and wants from the course
- An overview of financial principles such as Return on Investment and Resource Allocation
The Balance Sheet
- Understanding different Assets and Liabilities
- About Fixed Assets
- Current Assets – what they are and how to improve
- Current Liabilities – what they are and how to improve them
- Benchmarking and comparators
- Key Ratios and trends
- About Gearing
The Income and Expenditure Account (or Profit and Loss Account)
- The key components of the Income and Expenditure Account
- Analysing Key ratios and trends
- Managing different types of Costs and their behaviour
- Analysing income streams
- Improving Profitability and Productivity
- The Power of 1%
- Benchmarking and comparators
- Profit/Surplus and Cashflow are different things!
- What Management Accounts should tell us
- How these figures contribute to overall performance
- Managing the cashflow as well as the costs
- Managing variances and making any necessary improvement
Using ratios to benchmark our performance
- How to use the key ratios to benchmark our performance
- Recognising areas where performance is slipping and which need management attention
Generating ideas to improve financial performance, including people’s productivity
- Identifying and investing more in high performing assets and activities
- Identifying and improving underperforming assets and costs
Moving from Analysis to Forecasting
- The principles of Forecasting and Budgeting
- Revenue Budgets
- The strengths and problems of traditional budgeting methods
- 2 other approaches which can complement and improve traditional budgeting methods
- Budgeting for Projects – how to do a Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Capital expenditure
- Cost of Capital issues and the time value of money
- Where budgeting can go wrong and how to avoid the principal problems
Understanding the jargon
- A free discussion clarifying any remaining questions about terminology and jargon
- What does this all mean for my organisation and my team?
- What areas do we need to work on?
- Action plans for when I get back to work
Course fees are as follows:
- Non-member: £880 + VAT
Member: £790 + VAT
This course can also be run in-house, where the content can be tailored to suit organisational needs, providing a cost-effective solution to group training needs.
Provider: CIPD Training
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...