Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Fundamentals of Employment LawCIPD Training
Fundamentals of Employment Law - 2-day course by CIPD Training
A practical and interactive course, Fundamentals of Employment Law is an introductory course designed to cover the fundamentals of employment law for newcomers to the HR profession or management.
The 2-day programme is designed to help you handle the employment issues that come up on a daily basis with confidence and professionalism. More specifically, it enables you to:
- Understand the main legal principles that govern the relationship between employee and employer
- Assess your organisation's policies and procedures against the legal requirements
- Provide basic advice on resolving common employment issues
The course forms part of the Level 3 Foundation Award in HR Essentials, and can also be delivered on an in-house basis for groups of staff.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for HR support staff and line managers looking for an introduction to the basis of employment law. It is particularly beneficial for those just starting out in an HR or people management role - no prior knowledge is required.
Training Course Content
Creating the employment relationship
- the recruitment process - advertising, application forms, interviews,immigration, criminal checks and vetting and barring
- the contract – offer, terms, clauses
- references and medicals - what to be aware of
- employment status -self-employed, part-time workers, fixed-term contracts, employee-shareholder status, overseas workers
Maintaining the employment relationship
- dealing with discrimination issues
- The Equality Act and protected characteristics
- direct and indirect discrimination/victimisation
- bullying and harassment
- Working Time Regulations and the 'work-life' balance
- family-friendly rights - maternity, paternity and adoption rights, parental leave and flexible working
- disciplinary and grievance processes
- a practical approach to difficult issues
- poor performance
- email/internet/social media misuse
- misconduct in and outside work
- acting fairly and reasonably
Terminating the employment relationship
- wrongful dismissal
- unfair dismissal
- constructive dismissal
- employment tribunals - who can claim, types of claim and compensation
- You will take part in case study work to illustrate key points of law discussed during the course.
Course fees are as follows:
- Non-member: £850 + VAT
Member: £765 + VAT
This course can also be run in-house, where the content can be tailored to suit organisational needs, providing a cost-effective solution to group training needs.
Provider: CIPD Training
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...