Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Introduction to People ManagementCIPD Training
Introduction to People Management - 3 day course - CIPD Training
This course will help you understand the role of the manager and the responsibilities this carries, as well as your own approach to working with others and leading a team. Learn how to successfully manage your team in a way that will involve and inspire them to achieve organisational goals.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Introduction to People Management is ideal for those who are:
- new to management
- recently promoted to the manager role
- have been a manager for just a short while
- are managing small to medium size teams
- aspiring to the role.
All CIPD Training programmes can be run in-house, where we can tailor the content to your organisation’s unique needs.
Training Course Content
- What’s different about managing people (Moving on to Managing People)
- The roles & responsibilities, and complexities of the manager To explore tools and techniques to manage oneself
- ‘What makes you tick’; major motivational theories and what this means for the individual manager and their direct reports
- Establishing a personal responsibility for self-development, constructing a development plan.
Getting the Job Done & Managing the Individual
- Practising using tools and techniques to manage day to day work
- The role of assertive communication in getting the job done and managing others
- The principles of induction, supervision and appraisal (cycle)
- Good practice in setting objectives and delegating, and how these support the performance management cycle
- Practising setting objectives
- The role of the manager in identifying learning needs
- Creating a template for 1:1 discussions
- The role of giving (and receiving) feedback in managing performance
- Practising giving feedback through role plays.
Managing the Team
- Management theories as a means to understand natural management styles and their effects on the individual
- The need to vary management styles to the motivational and development needs of different individuals and situations
- How to motivate the poor and good performer
- The need to foster a positive team atmosphere
- The contribution of all team members with their different team styles
- The life cycle of a team
- Consensus decision making – its advantages and disadvantages and its role
- The challenges of managing a virtual or dispersed team
- Tools and techniques to manage change.
The cost of the programme is as follows:
- Non-Member Price: £1,365 + VAT
- CIPD Member Price: £1,225 + VAT
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...