Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Re-energise Your Management - 2 day course by CIPD training
This refresher course is designed for managers who possess 3+ years experience of managing a team. Delegates get an opportunity to meet and mix with other experienced managers to share their experiences and discuss issues and challenges. They also get to take a fresh look at their own management styles.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is for experienced managers looking forward to brush up on the latest developments in management thinking or understand the ever-changing role of a manager. Delegates are expected to have at least two years’ management experience before attending this course.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Successful course participation will enable delegates to:
- gain an understanding of the changing role of the manager
- develop their strategic thinking and planning skills
- work more effectively with other senior and top managers
- recognise any improvements needed in their management skills and style
- understand how to improve people’s performance and motivation
- deal more effectively with problem causing people
- plan and implement change more effectively
- recharge their batteries, their skills and their own managerial abilities
Training Course Content
This two day course covers the following topics:
Introductions and Course Overview
- course objectives
- participants’ individual objectives
- the challenges we face as managers
The changing role of a manager
- ‘command and control’ versus ‘support and coach’
- what’s driving the changes? who’s resisting the changes?
- balancing the ‘soft’ and the ‘hard’ skills
- what changes as we get promoted to more senior management?
- style flexibility, when to ‘push’ and how hard, when and how to ‘pull’
- which skills increase in importance as we get promoted
- what we need to work on
How pressure affects management style
- what the research shows
- recognizing the early signs of burnout
- helping people to insulate themselves against stress
- where does my time go?
The challenges of change
- about strategic thinking and planning
- people resist change – don’t they?
- predictable reactions and the manager’s responsibility
- 6 approaches to change and when to use each one
Review of day one
Getting the best out of people (including myself)
- motivation strategies which really work
- stretching and stimulating the willing workers
- managing the difficult ones!
- using delegation to stretch and develop people
- different approaches for different types
Improving performance and productivity
- ‘every day we must do more, of better, with less’ John Harvey Jones
- reducing time stealers and Low Value Adding Tasks
- increasing the time spent on High Value Adding Tasks
- setting the productivity target and planning the gain
- ‘I have a dream’ – how to sustain my own positivity
- what do the ‘followers’ expect from their leader?
- characteristics of an effective leader
- things to work on
- next steps – what to work on
- planning my own project
- ongoing support via email.
The course fee is as follows:
CIPD Member Price: £790 + VAT
Non-Member Price: £880 + VAT
Provider: CIPD Training
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...