Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
The Employment Law Practitioner: a complete approachCIPD Training
The Employment Law Practitioner: A Complete Approach - 3 day course - CIPD Training
This course from CIPD will look into the whole process of employment and the issues that occur during recruitment, contracts, employment and termination. Using group discussion and case studies, the course will investigate key concepts and frameworks in order for participants to analyse and apply the techniques learnt in their line of work.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is designed for professionals who are HR practitioners with responsibility for employment law issues within your organisation, or building on an existing career in HR.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Assess your organisation’s employment policies and procedures from a legal perspective
- Apply the law effectively to your organisation’s employment practices and procedures
- Provide clear guidance on resolving the legal issues that arise at work, in accordance with best practice.
All our programmes can be run in-house, where we can tailor the content to your organisation’s unique needs.
Training Course Content
Topics covered during this course include:
Creating the employment relationship:
- The recruitment process (including job offer letters, references, probationary periods, criminal checks, avoiding discrimination claims, work permits and visas)
- Preparing contracts of employment – express and implied terms, suggested clauses
- Changing terms and conditions of employment
- Defining employee status - 'workers', 'employees' and part-timers, fixed term contracts
- Using agency staff and 'casuals'
- Employing young people - best practice, National Minimum Wage
Maintaining the employment relationship:
- Flexible working: maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave
- Working time and recent cases
- Tackling data protection issues
Health and safety:
- Providing a safe working environment
- The employer's responsibilities and liability
- Dealing with stress, personal injury claims and disability discrimination
- Legislation and recent case law including age
- Equal pay and questionnaire procedures
- Positive action and genuine occupational requirements
- Avoiding bullying and harassment
Grievance and disciplinary processes:
- Best practice, recent case law
- Conducting grievance and disciplinary hearings
- Appeals and their importance
TUPE: what is it and when will it apply?
- Change of service provision, the ETO defence
- 2006 regulations and latest cases
Terminating the employment relationship
- Dismissal: wrongful, unfair and constructive
- Compromise agreements
- Practice and procedure at employment tribunals
- Compensation, re-engagement or re-instatement.
The cost of this course is as follows:
Non-Member Price: £1,435 + VAT
CIPD Member Price: £1,290 + VAT
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...