Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Understanding Data Protection LawCIPD Training
Understanding Data Protection Law
Understanding Data Protection Law - 1 day Course
This one day course from CIPD will give delegates the knowledge of how to understand and apply the key concepts of data protection law. Understanding the implications to organisations is extremely important in the modern world, with the instant interaction and no hiding places on social media and networking sites.
By the end of this course, you'll be able to:
- advise on the key principles applying to the collection, access and use of personal data
- relate the provisions in the employment code to practical day-to-day issues
- make clear to all staff the need for security of data
- apply these principles to policies and procedures in particular areas such as management of sickness records and monitoring of email and internet usage.
Suitability - Who should attend?
HR practitioners responsible for employment law issues within their organisation. No prior knowledge of data protection law is required.
Training Course Content
During the course, the topics covered include:
Data protection overview
- the difference between sensitive and non-sensitive data
- who is responsible for applying the Data Protection Act?
- understanding the data protection principles
- collecting personal information – fair collection notices, rights and obligations
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- The main principles of the Data Protection Act 1998
- what is personal data?
Data Protection Codes of Practice
- understanding and applying the codes
- employees’ health, drug and alcohol testing at work
Beginning and during employment
- recruitment and selection (including advertising, dealing with applications, shortlisting, selection testing, references, medical records, vetting, verification, validation, access to interview notes and retention of records)
- collection and storage of information
- equal opportunities monitoring
- pensions and insurance schemes
- disclosure policy
Monitoring and surveillance
- human rights issues
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers legislation and privacy
- changes to improve the protection of workers’ personal data
- monitoring communications – telephone, Internet and email policies
- networking, tweeting, blogging and facebook
- managing misuse of social media
- discipline and dismissal
- the retention and integrity of records
- subject access request.
The cost of this course is as follows:
Non-Member Price: £545 + VAT
CIPD Member Price: £490 + VAT
This course is also available for in-house delivery, please contact CIPD for more information.
Provider: CIPD Training
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...