Introduction to SQL and relational databases with Oracle
Oracle is a world-leading object-relational database management system. Since its first release in the late 70s, Oracle has been at the forefront of database management systems.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Use command-line based operating environments;
- Understand the basic of database theory and design;
- Manipulate and define data in tables using SQL
- Use effectively core features of Oracle's SQL*Plus utility;
- Gain enough basic knowledge to explore and learn more SQL independently.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Strong computer literacy.
You must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Training Course Content
Using the industry-standard Oracle Relational Database Management System, the short course teaches database design and manipulation concepts, including:
- Entity modelling
- Table creation and integrity constraints
- SQL statements such as joins, nested queries and group by.
- There is also an overview of Oracle metadata and security privileges, using views and main principles in performance management.
- Database management systems and the relational model;
- Basic design and entity-relationship modelling;
- The SQL*Plus environment: editing using the buffer and Oracle scripting;
- Data manipulation language: select statements; filtering rows with where, using predicate logic (and, or and not operators);
- Using (inner, equip-) joins to extract data from more than one table;
- Oracle functions and statements: text functions and conversion functions; nesting functions; the describe statement;
- Report writing: formatting output using SQL and SQL*Plus;
- Data definition language: creating tables, altering tables, dropping tables;
- Data manipulation language: inserting, updating, deleting and copying rows in a table;
- Views: creating views, describing views, dropping views;
- SQL Aggregate functions, group by and having the SQL standard and Oracle-specific SQL;
- Review of differences in key SQL statements between vendors.
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
A short course is an excellent way to gain new expertise, advance skills or simply follow a passion. With courses in business, computing, writing, creative industries, languages and law there is something for everyone. Glimpse inside our short course community: hear from our industry-expert tutors and listen to students as they reflect on their learning experience.
City University London
City, University of London is a special place. With skill and dedication, we have been using education, research and enterprise to transform the lives of our students, our community and the world for a hundred years. We are proud of...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!