Screenwriting: First Steps
Screenwriting can seem like a dauntingly technical form. This introduction to our Screenwriting short course teaches you how to write a film script, with plenty of writing exercises and analysis of scripts and films.
On completion of the course, you will have a set of tools for writing your own scripts: learning to write visually, working with character and conflict, and building narrative. The main focus is on screenwriting for the UK market but the US and European markets are also explored.
What will I learn?
You will be able to:
- Acquire the basic tools to write a feature script
- Gain an understanding of screenplay structure
- Learn how to write character outlines, an outline and treatment for a feature script
- Gain an understanding of the professional and industry aspects of screenwriting
Suitability - Who should attend?
Some knowledge of films and/or filmmaking.
Training Course Content
- Week 1 - What is a screenplay? Writing a visual world
- Week 2 - Elements of a screenplay (continued)
- Week 3 - Character and conflict – with clips
- Week 4 - The 3 Act 8 Sequence structure
- Week 5 - Review and Regroup
- Week 6 - Focusing your idea
- Week 7 - Writing dialogue and creating ‘space’
- Week 8 - Sculpting in Time
- Week 9 - Symbolism and iconography
- Week 10 - Industry
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
Passionate about writing? Hear about our students’ journeys towards publication with the help of City short courses.
City University London
City, University of London is a special place. With skill and dedication, we have been using education, research and enterprise to transform the lives of our students, our community and the world for a hundred years. We are proud of...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!