Bias, Barriers and Behaviours – Understanding Unconscious Bias
We have conscious biases which are biases we’re aware of, and we have unconscious biases which we’re unaware of - but they are stored away in our mind and they still affect what we think and how we behave.
This one day workshop has been created to explain how to identify own unconscious biases in ourselves and in the workplace.
By the end of the session participants will:
· Appreciate the importance of understanding how unconscious bias works
· Have recognised some of their own hidden preferences, assumptions and biases
· Know how to think more critically and consciously when making decisions
· Be aware of the dangers of prejudice and stereotyping other people
· Have an action plan for how to implement their learning so it’s sustainable and transferrable.
Real learning happens when people share their stories, ask the questions they have been too afraid to ask, or successfully navigate the inevitable tension arising from differing perspectives on the subject.
It is imperative to provide ample time to allow for these types of dialogues to happen.
So our trainers talk less, minimize slides, ask thought-provoking questions and guide the group through tough conversations and exercises.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Training Course Content
Module 1 - Unconscious Bias in the Workplace
This goes into what unconscious biases are, the common types, and how they are formed. It looks at how the mind works, how it stores information, and how it creates negative biases.
· What is unconscious bias is and how it is created
· Understanding the difference between the implicit and the explicit bias
· The different types of UB and how they affect our thinking and responses
· How our own biases positively support us, but may negatively impact on others
· The impact of UB in the workplace.
Module 2 - Strategies for Reducing Bias
The next module looks at how we can manage or to change UB and we look at the four key areas for tackling bias: self-awareness, acknowledging bias, challenging bias, and training our minds to think differently. We also consider: stereotyping, body language, and the dangers of making assumptions.
· How to recognise your own natural biases and developing self-awareness
· Taking the evidence of self-awareness and access the need for change
· Using the STEPS model to mitigate the effect of stereotyping and the assumptive response
· Recognising the giveaway non-verbal cues and changing them
· Making more prudent decisions to embed the behaviour by mismatching our own unconscious and conscious biases.
Module 3 - Management Responsibilities
We look at the common mistakes that are often made when management rely on their unconscious biases to help with these decisions, especially in recruitment and promotion. We also take a look at team dynamics and the importance of an inclusive culture.
· How to create greater awareness of unconscious bias in the organisation
· The legal implications of bias in the workplace
· How to understand how unconscious biases impact your organisation’s performance
· In-house coaching and mentoring to help create balance within the team
· The business case for diversity and making difference work.
Module 4 – Techniques and Tools to Change and Embed New Behaviours
This section includes some simple and straightforward tools that you can use to encourage people to identify and reduce bias right through the organisation.
· How to disengage from bias
· Dis-identifying the reaction to change its impact
· Developing new narratives or old responses
· Creating a new neuro-plastic pathways
· Become an active bystander to counter stereotypical behaviour
· Ways to start developing and inclusive workplace
We discuss tactical strategies people can employ right away to overcome bias and we give actionable steps for individuals, teams, and companies can take to overcome and minimize the negative effects of unconscious biases.
Coach the Mind
Started in 1998 by Michael Astrop, after a career in University lecturing and training with AUM Training in Harrogate, Coach the Mind has been delivering practical, hands-on learning programmes to professionals in the North of England, in the form of...
Find out more about this Bias, Barriers and Behaviours - Understanding Unconscious Bias course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!