Proofreading and Editing Level 4 DiplomaCollege of Media and Publishing
Proofreading and editing course (level 4)
Our proofreading and editing course will teach you the essentials of these specialised and highly in-demand skills, so you can find paid work.
Companies and organisations are in constant need of proofreaders and editors to work on a range of documents, including:
- reports and brochures
- newspapers and magazines
This popular online proofreading and editing course can help you secure this type of work, as an employee or freelancer.
As well as helping many individuals become successful proofreaders, this course is also used to train staff from some of the UK's leading organisations, including British Gas, Royal Mail, the NHS and AutoTrader.
We do not just teach you how to proofread and edit documents. We teach you how to work as a professional proofreader or copy editor.
This includes developing such skills as fact-checking, working to tight deadlines and professionally presenting your copy.
We offer unlimited tutor support throughout, including personalised feedback on every assignment.
Our comprehensive proofreading and editing course will teach you how to:
- proofread and edit documents in paper and online format
- work with spelling, punctuation and grammar
- understand and apply proofreading symbols and style guides
- present clear, factually-accurate and legally-compliant copy
- set up a freelance business and find paid work
It's important that you study with a provider you can trust. We have been successfully delivering our online courses for individuals and businesses since 2003, and are one of the most trusted and respected names in the industry.
This proofreading and editing course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme.
We are also fully accredited by the EADL, IADL, CPD standards office and ABCC, and are listed on the UK Register of Learning Providers, which is run by the government's Department for Education.
Duration and Hours
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to. The duration of this course is approximately 80 hours. You fit your studies around your lifestyle, and study at a pace you're completely comfortable with - there is no expiry date.
There are no fixed start dates, you can enrol at any time.
Course Tutor: Rachel Finnegan
Irish Academic Editing | Member of SfEP and AFEPI
We provide you with a personal tutor who will mentor you through the course, mark your assignments, and give you expert advice whenever you need it.
All our tutors are professionals who are still working in their sectors. They will be there to help you every step of the way. And you can contact them whenever you need to.
Rachel Finnegan is one of the tutors for students on CMP’s proofreading and editing course.
She has a BA and a PhD in classics, and is a member of both the Society of Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) and the Association of Freelance Editors, Proofreaders and Indexers of Ireland (AFEPI).
She runs her own editing business, Irish Academic Editing. Her skills include proofreading, copyediting, substantive editing, editorial training, and academic writing.
Her clients include academic publishers such as Swales & Willis (for Routledge), Irish Academic Press and Colourpoint Educational Books, local authorities, academic institutions, and individual writers / researchers.
She was a lecturer in arts and humanities for 20 years and has published five academic books and numerous journal articles.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Our Proofreading and editing course is suitable for people of all ages and abilities. We've worked with:
- beginners wanting to become professional proofreaders / editors
- people who need to work accurately, as part of their job roles
- businesses of all sizes
- website and blog owners who need to check their own content
- freelance writers who need to produce error free copy
- individuals who want to proofread as a hobbie
- existing proofreaders / editors looking to refresh or upgrade their current skills
What will I need?:
- access to a computer, tablet or similar device
- W-Fi, 4G, or broadband
- Microsoft Word software, or equivalent: OpenOffice, iWork pages
- an email account
* This course is also suitable for Apple Mac users.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Proofreading course certifications
Our proofreading and editing course has been independently endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. So at the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the Units the learner has completed as part of the course).
In addition, you will receive the accredited CMP level 4 diploma in proofreading and editing, which is recognised in the UK and beyond. It proves you are a certified proofreader and editor.
These certifications will enable you to apply for proofreading and editing jobs, find freelance work, or use your new skills in the workplace.
Training Course Content
Proofreading and editing course subjects:
This course covers every aspect of proofreading and editing.
We sometimes add new subjects, remove old ones, and change the order, to keep them up-to-date.
Lesson 01: The basics
- What the proofreader does
- The proofreader's personal qualities
- Proofreading terminology
- The publishing process
Lesson 02: Applying style
- What a style guide is used for
- How to use a style guide
- Apply style to a range of copy
Lesson 03: Spelling and grammar
- Where to find reliable spelling and grammar facilities
- Spotting and correcting spelling and grammar errors
Lesson 04: Proofreading on paper
- Proofreading on paper symbols
- Proofreading methods and techniques
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Lesson 05: Proofreading on screen
- On screen proofreading symbols
- Methods and techniques for on screen proofreading
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Lesson 06: Copy-editing basics
- What a copy editor does
- Levels of editing
- The client's brief
- Editing with the reader in mind
Lesson 07: Copy-editing - use of language
- Learn summarising techniques
- Edit for fluent, plain and simple copy
- Edit to remove inappropriate material
- Edit copy for multicultural audiences
Lesson 08: Checking accuracy and facts
- Analyse words and phrases for accurate meaning
- Identify and correct factual errors
Lesson 09: Copy-editing - other elements
- Edit front and back matter such as footnotes, title pages, contents pages, appendices, references and indexes
Lesson 10: Legal checks
- Explain the basics of key publishing laws: copyright, defamation, data protection, privacy and contempt of court
- Apply publishing laws to a range of exercises
Lesson 11: Finding work and developing your career
- How to find proofreading and editing clients
- How to build your own business
Price and payment
The price of this course is £494.50 (incl. VAT). This fee can either be paid in full, or over 4 interest free monthly payments of £123.62
- Online credit or debit card payment
- Payment by telephone using credit or debit card
- Bank transfer (online banking)
- Employer invoice
- Western Union
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
College of Media and Publishing
There are significant advantages by studying at a genuine online college that is fully accredited, quality endorsed and registered by the UK government. Whether you want to learn new skills at home or develop your career at work, our online...
Customer Outreach Award 2019
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Average rating 5Based on 78 reviews
Find out more about this Proofreading and Editing Level 4 Diploma course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!