Public Relations Level 4 Diploma: Overview
Our industry recognised online public relations course equips you with the skills you need to handle public relations and social media marketing for a range of organisations.
It is more important than ever for businesses and other professional organisations to get the right message out to the media and public.
They must also be able to effectively manage their online reputation and handle any PR crises that arise.
Through our comprehensive PR course, you will gain the confidence and training you need to work in a variety of communications-based roles, using traditional marketing channels and multimedia platforms.
You will also develop additional skills, such as newswriting, conducting interviews, and organising press conferences.
The course also allows you to gather points for the Chartered Institute of Public Relations continuing professional development scheme
Our comprehensive online PR course will teach you how to:
- write effective press releases and distribute them to the right outlets
- develop lasting and productive working relationships with journalists and editors
- get the most out of social media
- plan and implement targeted PR strategies that get results
Our Accreditation and Memberships
It's important that you study with a provider you can trust. We have been successfully delivering our online courses since 2003, and are one of the most trusted and respected names in the industry.
We are fully accredited by the ABCC and the EADL, and are listed on the UK Register of Learning Providers, which is run by the government's Department for Education and Skills.
We are also corporate members of:
- Learning and Work Institute (L&W)
- National Union of Students (NUS)
- Association of International Educators (NAFSA)
Duration and Hours
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to. The duration of this course is 80 hours. You fit these hours in whenever is best for you - we offer complete flexibility, with no deadlines or time limits.
You can enrol when you like and begin whenever suits you. There are no fixed start dates.
This is How the Course Works
We sometimes limit student numbers on each course to a monthly quota. This is to ensure we provide you with the highest quality tutorial support.
- after you enrol, we send you our Enrolment pack, this explains how we work, and lays out some general guidelines.
- you then email us for your login details for our Online Learning Area (OLA).
- you log in to the OLA to access your course materials and other features
- you study one lesson at a time, complete some tasks, and email us with queries
- you can ask other students for support by using the OLA's Student chat feature
- you complete the exercises and assignments and submit them for marking
- your tutor will return them, with suggestions, comments, and a grade. You can resubmit your work to achieve a higher grade, if it is not up to standard
- you proceed to the next lesson, and so on, until you finish the course.
- we send you our Graduation pack.
- we then send your diploma in the post. The level will be determined by your average coursework grade. A = Distinction. B = Merit. C = Pass.
We can also help you find work, help you develop your career, and offer expert advice at no additional fee.
Course Tutor: Andy Carter
We provide you with a personal course tutor, who will work with you 1-2-1 and mentor you through the course.
Andy Carter is our PR course tutor. He has been in charge of PR and communications at Leeds city council, Northumbria university, the London Borough of Sutton and Peterborough city council.
He now runs his own PR consultancy.
He will mark your assignments, answer your questions and give you friendly help and advice.
This course has attracted plenty of positive course reviews, like the one below. You can read all of them on our own website, or on the reviews section to the right of this page.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This online Public Relations Level 4 Diploma is suitable for anyone looking to develop the skills to work effectively in PR and/or digital marketing.
There are no requirements for this course, it's for beginners, or for people wanting to refresh or develop their skills.
All you'll need is:
- access to a computer, tablet or similar device
- an internet connection, 4G, WiFi, Broadband
- Microsoft Word software, or equivalent: OpenOffice, iWork pages
- an email account
This course is also suitable for Apple Mac and Google Chromebook users.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Our accredited qualification
The course leads the CMP diploma which is a fully accredited, industry recognised qualification which guarantees you can produce work to a recognised standard.
Once you've completed the course, you will have the skills to work effectively in PR & digital marketing, across traditional and new media platforms.
Employers trust our qualification, because they know it stands for quality.
CMP charter mark
The Charter Mark is our assurance of accredited educational quality.
We award it to students who have graduated from one of our courses or training programmes. It helps them to find work.
Holders are licensed to use it on their websites, stationery, and social media profiles.
The Charter Mark guarantees that holders have achieved set standards of competence in a given field.
It gives employers confidence that applicants for staff positions or freelance work have received accredited training and independent assessment.
Call us: 01243 926226
Email us: olly(at)collegeofmediaandpublishing.co.uk
Training Course Content
Public Relations Level 4 Diploma subjects:
Lesson 01: An introduction to PR
- Understand the role of public relations
- Recognise good and bad PR
- Appreciate what makes a good PR professional
- Build relationships with journalists
Lesson 02: Newswriting techniques
- Why a PR needs to master newswriting techniques
- Write intros, sells and headings
- Write well-constructed copy
- Adapt your writing style to suit a web audience
Lesson 03: Writing effective press releases
- Recognise when it is appropriate to use press releases and press letters
- Send press releases and press letters in the correct format, to the right outlets and at the right time
Lesson 04: Communicating with the media
- Issue effective statements to the media
- Conduct interviews with journalists
- Deal confidently with journalists' questions
Lesson 05: Online PR
- Understand the basics of social media
- Define how social media can be used in PR
- Devise a social media plan
- Set up, maintain and grow your own blog
- Identify when a PR can use video
- Understand how to prepare, shoot and edit videos for PR
Lesson 06: Handling a crisis
- Understand crisis communications
- Write a crisis communications plan
- Manage reputation in a crisis
- Tweet effectively during a crisis
Lesson 07: Using TV and radio
- List how TV and radio can be used for PR
- Produce suitable content for TV and radio
Lesson 08: Organising a press conference
- Understand the role a press conference plays in PR
- Organise and manage a press conference
Lesson 09: Law and reputation management
- How media law and regulatory codes can be used as media management tools - pre, and post publication
- Manage online reputation, proactively and reactively
Lesson 10: Using other PR tools
- Recognise other PR tools and when to use them
- Use case studies, white papers, ebooks, videos and podcasts for PR
Lesson 11: Running a PR campaign
- When and how to run a PR campaign
- Select the right campaign components
- Organise an effective PR campaign
The cost of this course is £494.50 - VAT included.
We aim to make our courses as accessible and affordable as possible. We offer a range of different payment methods, including:
- Online credit or debit card payment
- Payment by telephone using credit or debit card
- Direct bank transfer
- Employer invoice
- Purchase order
We also provide monthly instalments at no additional cost. The payment plan for this course is: 4 monthly payments of £123.62.
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
Download college prospectus There are significant advantages by studying at a genuine online college that is fully accredited, quality endorsed and registered by the UK government. Whether you want to learn new skills at home or develop your career at work, our online...
Customer Outreach Award 2019
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Public Relations Level 4 Diploma course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!