How Parliament Works
This event gives participants a thorough grounding in how Westminster operates, looking at the law-making process and how policy initiatives are scrutinised and challenged. We look at the everyday work of MPs and peers from a practical perspective and look at how ministers, shadows and backbenchers utilise the various parliamentary mechanisms and procedures at their disposal.
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
People who wish to engage with parliamentarians in order to influence policy outcomes or who simply wish to understand more about how Parliament works and how political decisions are made and scrutinised.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
- Better understand the structure and day-to-day workings of Parliament, how the timetable operates and how parliamentarians are disciplined and motivated;
- Look in detail at the legislative process, from the consultation stage to Royal Assent, and assess the effectiveness of scrutiny;
- Appreciate the ways in which the government is held to account, including by select committees, oral and written questions, all-party groups, Private Members’ Bills, Statements and Westminster Hall debates.
Organisations will be able to develop a better understand of the decision-making process at Westminster and how to be more effective in influencing MPs and peers.
Training Course Content
- Welcome & Introductions
- Introduction to Parliament
- Inside the Chamber
- Parliamentary Business
- The route of policy from the civil service to the Queen
- Holding the Government to account
- Parliamentary Committees
- Frontbench MPs
- Backbench MPs
Average rating 5
I felt like Mike fully covered every aspect that our group flagged as areas of interest and paid very close attention to our questions and ensuring we got the most out of the se...
I felt a lot more confident in my understanding of the House of Lords and how the legislative process works.
Mike was absolutely excellent. When we went back to the office we all said how knowledgeable and engaging he was, and what a joy it was to be around someone who so clearly enjoy...
Course prices for Private Sector:
- £545+VAT(if registering more than 1 place)
Course prices for Public Sector:
- £395+VAT(if registering more than 1 place)
Course prices for Charity:
- £345+VAT(if registering more than 1 place)
Dods Training - Communication, Personal Development, Policy & Government Training
Part of the wider Dods Group, Dods Training is a primary private sector provider of professional development programmes on policy, Government, Parliament and the soft skills needed for those working in these areas, including communication, writing, confidence-building and personal efficiency....