What does this programme involve?
Students will learn the basic theory and practical application of brick structures. Courses will start by understanding mixes of mortar, preparation of site, foundation, plumb line and spirit level, and appropriate tools. Students will work with different materials i.e. brick and block work to produce straight (vertical) walls and will also learn how to construct corners and infill. Some time will be spent discussing theoretical aspects, subject to students' need.
Students will learn:
- Knowledge of bricks and blocks (and mixes, mortar and bonds) and how to lay them properly, including building a variety of low walls, with 90 degree corners and two brick pillars.
- Understanding of how to select and maintain tools including gauge, plumb line, and level and how to use them safely and effectively.
- Health and Safety issues.
- Marking out - chalk lines and mortar lines.
- Simple foundations.
- Toothing technique.
A College Certificate is awarded on request.
How is the programme taught and assessed?
- The course is taught with a mixture of theory and practical sessions. The course will be approximately 75% practical.
What career opportunities can this lead to?
- Eastleigh College offer qualification courses in Bricklaying, the tutor will be able to give further advice. The college also runs a number of other practical courses.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Eastleigh College Apprenticeships
Eastleigh College is a General FE College based in Eastleigh, Hampshire specialising in Apprenticeships for 10 years. We have recently launched 'The Apprenticeship Experts' team based at the College in response to our growing success in this area. We offer...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!