Professional Certificate of Competency in Structural Design for Non Structural EngineersEngineering Institute of Technology
Professional Certificate of Competency in Structural Design for Non Structural Engineers
Anything constructed needs to be designed first. Structural Engineering deals with the analysis and design aspects required to ensure a safe, functional and economical end product. During the design process the designer may constantly interact with specialists such as architects and operational managers. Once the design is finalized, the implementation involves people to handle aspects such as statutory approvals, planning, quality assurance and material procurement. The entire exercise can be undertaken in a highly-coordinated way if everyone involves understands the terminology or ‘project language’. To understand this language fully, it is necessary to appreciate the principles of structural analysis and design.
Participants in this course will gain a basic knowledge of structural engineering that includes the principles of analysis of structures and their application, the behaviour of materials under loading, the selection of construction materials, and the design fundamentals for Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) and steel structures. The emphasis will be on the determination of the nature and quantum of stress developed under loads, and the way structures offer resistance to it. Being the most widely used construction materials, RCC and steel will be covered in detail, though masonry and timber are also introduced.
Suitability - Who should attend?
A good understanding of engineering mathematics is critical for the successful completion of this course.
If you have been away from study for some time, or are concerned that your knowledge of fundamental maths may need revision, EIT does offer a self-paced online course through EIT’s sister company IDC Technologies entitled Fundamentals of Engineering Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
The course covers the key concepts of engineering maths, physics and chemistry with useful practical exercises.The topics covered will provide you with an excellent background and working knowledge. Each subject is also an online refresher for engineers and technicians who have an existing knowledge of these topics.
Please note that completion of the stand-alone refresher course is optional for self-development. It is not a pre-requisite and does not provide an entry pathway for other courses.”
Outcome / Qualification etc.
What will you learn
- Fully understand the role of a structural engineer
- Predict the behaviour of structural members under loading
- Understand the concept of stress functions such as tension, compression, shear and bending
- Perform a basic analysis of statically determinate and indeterminate structures
- Analyse the deformation of members under Loading
- Understand the significance of material properties in design
- Undertake the basic design of Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) structures
- Undertake the basic design of steel structures
- Undertake the basic design of masonry structures
- Undertake the basic design of timber structural members
Training Course Content
- ANALYSIS OF STATICALLY DETERMINATE STRUCTURES I
- ANALYSIS O F STATICALLY DETERMINATE STRUCTURES II
- PRINCIPLES OF STRENGTH OF MATERIALS I
- PRINCIPLES O F STRENGTH OF MATERIALS II
- ANALYSIS OF STATICALLY INDETERMINATE STRUCTURES I
- ANALYSIS OF STATICALLY INDETERMINATE STRUCTURES II
- DESIGN THEORIES AND LOADS
- DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES I
- DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES II
- DESIGN OF RCC STRUCTURES I
- DESIGN OF RCC STRUCTURES II
- DESIGN OF RCC STRUCTURES II
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) delivers industry-driven programs to ensure our students have the skills required in the real industrial world. Our four Bachelor of Science degrees and four Master degrees are available on campus in Perth, Western Australia and online. Our Master of Engineering (Industrial Automation) is available on campus in Perth, Western Australia, and Melbourne, Victoria, as well as online.
Engineering Institute of Technology
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) is one of the only higher education providers in the world specializing in engineering and is fully accredited by the exacting standards of the Australian Government, giving you access to world class, industry-oriented education....
Tell us what kind of professional training you're looking for and we'll put you in touch with relevant training providers who will send you a quote.
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!