An Introduction to Effective Project ManagementHemsley Fraser
An Introduction to Effective Project Management
Through this highly practical two-day introductory course participants will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in a range of project management (PM) roles.
The course makes use of case studies and checklists - putting a strong focus on practical tools and techniques that can be applied directly to the workplace. On completion of the course participants will feel empowered to manage projects more efficiently and achieve real results.
The course content, terminology and principles reflect the current syllabus for the APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ).
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is designed for professionals who are new to project manager roles and looking for formal training in the field. It is also useful for those looking to set up a project support office or working towards gaining PMQ accreditation.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise when it is appropriate to adopt a ‘project’ approach to managing your workload.
- Apply a simple lifecycle to a project to break it into easy to manage stages.
- Clearly define your projects to provide real clarity in terms of project scope, roles and responsibilities, and other key factors.
- Confidently plan, organise and document a project by using a wide variety of tools that add value to the project management process.
- Become more effective in monitoring and controlling the project work, change requests and resourcing pressures by using best practice processes and techniques.
- Understand what lessons can be learnt from managing work using a project approach.
- Tailor your approach to projects of varying size and complexity.
You will accrue 14 Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points.
Training Course Content
What Is a Project?
- Defining what we mean by project working and how it differs from the day job
- Determining the approach (Waterfall or Agile) to managing projects – the project lifecycle.
Please note: the body of the course is based on the waterfall approach
- Understanding why projects fail - what to watch out for
Defining a Project
- Understanding the role of the project manager and other key stakeholders
- Appreciate the importance of teamwork within the project
- How to clearly define a project
- Setting and agreeing objectives, scope and constraints
- Understanding what questions to ask
- Recognising the need for project governance
- Simple risk management tools and techniques available to avoid surprises
Planning a Project
- Exploring the range of tools and techniques used in planning a project including work breakdown structures, Gantt charts, network diagrams and critical path analysis
- Determine the key project documentation and data display methods used on a project
- Scheduling techniques to maximise limited resources
- How to make time and cost estimates more credible and realistic
- How to plan for identified risks
- Defining and delivering against agreed quality expectations
- Recognise the need for a change management process and version control in a project
Implementing a Project
- Exploring the range of key tools and techniques used to monitor and control a project
- What impact will changes have on the project?
- Determine corrective actions to ensure the project remains on track
- How to communicate the status of a project more effectively
Closing and Reviewing a Project
- Understanding the need for a controlled close to a project
- Measuring what actually happened against the plan
- Learning lessons - both positive and negative
- Closing down and moving on
The cost of this course is £1,129 + VAT per participant.
Hemsley Fraser can also deliver this course in-house. Tailoring the content to meet your organisation’s needs. Please get in touch for a quote.
Provider: Hemsley Fraser
Hemsley Fraser – Be Ready For Tomorrow
Hemsley Fraser create, deliver and execute learning experiences to drive higher levels of engagement. From our roots as a UK training company, we’ve empowered talent for three decades, evolving our business into a global, award-winning provider. Experts in our field,...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Contact information for Hemsley Fraser
Reviews by course attendees
Average rating 5Based on 3 reviews
Find out more about this An Introduction to Effective Project Management course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!