Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Project Planning - The Skills in a Day
Project Planning - The Skills in a Day
Proper planning is often to a project's success or failure. However, there is a great deal of pressure placed on project managers and they are often encouraged by management to move too quickly for proper, robust planning.
Project Planning - The Skills in a Day isn't encouraging extremely detailed planning. Rather, it has been developed to teach project managers how they can plan smarter and more efficiently. By tailoring best practices in planning to their usual processes, they will learn how their planning can be managed effectively, leading to a greater number of projects that end in success.
The workshop is structured as a case study that allows participants to go through the planning process for a predefined business case. The instructor acts as the project sponsor to insure that each participant is fully supported.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Project Planning course is suitable for new Project Managers/Planners or those with limited experience who wish to strengthen their project planning skills in particular. An initial working knowledge of the most common tools and techniques (e.g. Milestones, Gantt Charts, Network Diagrams, Risk Procedures etc) is desirable.
In order to maximise the learning, delegates are provided with some reading prior to the workshop, so they can familiarise themselves with the project they will be planning.
Training Course Content
The Importance of a Launch Meeting
- The structure of a project launch meeting
- The reasons for holding the meeting
The Business Case and Benefits Management Plan
- The minimum requirements of a finalised business case
- The need for a benefits management plan at the start of a project
The Value of the Four Key Breakdown Structures
- Advantages of an Organisational Breakdown Structure (O.B.S.)
- The P.B.S. – why not simply do a W.B.S.?
- What a Work Breakdown Structure (W.B.S.) will do for your project?
- How to create a Cost Breakdown Structure (C.B.S.) and its value
Stakeholder Management and the Communication Plan
- How to undertake stakeholder identification
- Deciding which stakeholder analysis tools to use
- Completing an effective communication plan
How to Schedule Project Tasks, Activities and Milestones
- The value of having done a W.B.S.
- Estimating methods – which to use?
- Understanding how to create a network diagram from your W.B.S.
- Gantt Charts - what they tell you and their suitability for reporting
- The value of having a separate milestone plan
- The links between scheduling and resource management
Resource Management and the Relevant Planning Tools
- Creating a Histogram and what it will do for your project
- Resource allocation and the RAM / RACI diagram
- Planning how to use ‘S’ curves
Risk Management and Conducting a Risk Workshop
- How to plan and run a risk workshop
- How to identify risks – threats and opportunities
- Understanding which risk assessment methods to use
- How to plan risk responses – the options to consider
- The importance of the risk log/register
Planning to Deliver 'fit-for-purpose' Quality
- The key considerations behind quality planning
- Why establishing ‘fit-for-purpose’ quality is essential
- The importance of planning your quality controls
Ensuring the Project Management Plan is Complete
- The P.M.P. – who writes it, approves it and uses it?
- A checklist to test the content
The cost of this course is £599 + VAT per delegate
Multiple booking discounts are available.
Hemsley Fraser can also deliver this course in-house, tailoring the content to meet your organisation's needs.
Provider: Hemsley Fraser
Hemsley Fraser - Leading Transformation around the Globe
Hemsley Fraser has been helping to transform organisations and individuals for over 25 years - Inspiring learners in over 90 countries worldwide. At the heart of their approach is the goal of making working life better. Hemsley Fraser has operations...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Project Planning - The Skills in a Day course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's first annual U.K. L&D Report!
There are no reviews available yet.