Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Applied Structural Geology
Applied Structural Geology: 5-Day Training Programme
This 5-day training programme from HOT Engineering has been designed to introduce course delegates to the basic concepts and methods of structural geology to enable cross- disciplinary exchange of ideas and experience. Further, the programme equips delegates with the required input to better understand questions crucial to the surface and subsurface structures formation and brittle deformation, such as:
- Why and how these structures have formed over geologic time?
- What are the factors that controlled their formation and deformation?
- What are the impacts of such structures on human activities in civil engineering, mining and oil and gas exploration, production and development?
Suitability - Who should attend?
This training programme is best suited for geoscientists or engineers with little or basic structural geology experience.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Upon successful completion of this training programme, delegates will gain an understanding of:
- Structural geology concepts and terminology
- Stress and strain in the Earth crust
- Classification of structures; folds and fractures
- Fault kinematics
- Rock behavior under stress and principles of rock mechanics
- The interrelations among 3D stress-state, fractures, folding and fluid flow
- What factors control fracture/fault reactivation with possible predictions
- Faults and stress regimes
- The tectonic regimes: compression, extension and wrench
- Typical assumptions and simplifications required to predict rock behavior under different states of stress
Training Course Content
The content of this training programme is structured as follows:
- Introduction to the physics of Earth's crust
- Classification of folds and fractures
- Fracture types and attributes
- Fractures and the 3D state of stress
- Andersonian classification of faults and stress regimes
- Fundamental rock mechanics
- Tectonic regimes and associated structures
- Implications and case studies
The course fee covers tuition, course materials, refreshments and lunch per session day and a €100 non-refundable registration fee. An additional computer fee may be applicable.
The course is held at a top quality hotel with excellent meeting facilities.
Provider: HOT Engineering
HOT – World Class Training for Oil & Gas Professionals
HOT is a leading oil and gas training provider and E&P consulting company. We come together as a multidisciplinary team, combining 30 years of training and consulting experience to deliver state of the art public courses, bespoke in-house courses, long-term...