Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Open Hole and LWD Interpretation Principles and ApplicationsHOT Engineering
Open Hole and LWD Interpretation Principles and Applications
Open Hole and LWD Interpretation Principles and Applications
This interactive, applications-driven course will highlight the techniques and principles of well log interpretation for oil industry professionals who deal with wireline and/or LWD logs in their daily job.
The course will explore the tools response explained from their physical principles as well as their relationship with the rock and fluid properties; most existing open hole logging technologies will be covered explaining their main applications and limitations. Advanced interpretation methods will be discussed with numerous examples and exercises including complex lithology interpretation techniques.
This training course will feature:
- Discussions on tools physical principles and applications
- Tool limitations on different borehole environments
- Tips and examples to identify and understand common logging issues
- Explanation of petrophysical concepts and techniques for advanced formation evaluation using wireline and LWD logs
- Application of interpretation methods in several examples and exercises
How we build your confidence
This training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. The sessions will include visual, auditory and kinesthetic elements to cover the three different learning modalities. The daily sessions will be highly interactive and participative. This involves regular discussion of applications as well as hands-on exercises that will be solved manually and/or using Microsoft Excel.
Suitability - Who should attend?
- An engineer in the exploration and/or production department
- A geologist, geophysicist or petrophysicist
- A petroleum, reservoir or drilling engineer
- In general, any oil & gas industry professional involved in wireline and LWD logging data interpretation and validation
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of the course you will feel confident in your understanding of:
- Physical principles of most existing open hole logging tools
- The main applications and limitations of the different tool readings
- The uses of advanced wireline and LWD logging tools in complex lithology interpretation
- How to perform a quantitative formation evaluation on a complex lithology
Training Course Content
Basic Concepts Review and Resistivity Tools
- Petrophysics concepts review
- Introduction to well logging
- Log classification according to the measured properties
- Auxiliary measurements, uses and common issues
- Basic measurements: Gamma ray and spontaneous potential
- Resistivity theory, principles and applications of laterologs
- Advanced laterolog logging tools: array and azimuthal
- Microresistivity devices, principles and applications
Conductivity and Nuclear Logging Tools
- Conductivity tools, uses and limitations
- LWD resistivity determination tools
- Advanced induction logging tools, 3D induction
- RT and invasion profile determination
- Formation density tools, principles and applications
- The photoelectric factor, a key lithology indicator
- Neutron tools principles and applications
- Porosity determination from density and neutron logs
- LWD nuclear logging tools
- Lithology determination, calibrations and log quality control parameters
Acoustic and Geological Logging Tools
- Basic sonic tools, borehole compensation
- Dipole sonic tools, applications
- Mechanical properties determination and uses
- Sonic scanner principles and applications
- Common sonic issues in the borehole
- LWD acoustic tools
- Dipmeter interpretation principles
- Geological image logging tools
- Structural and stratigraphic interpretation principles
- Open, partially open and healed fractures interpretation
- Faults and unconformities interpretation examples
- Facies analysis for reservoir characterisation with image logs
- Ultrasonic logging tools
Advanced Logging Tools and Introduction to Formation Evaluation
- Nuclear magnetic resonance, principles and applications
- Relaxation mechanisms and their association with fluid and rock properties
- Porosity, irreducible water saturation and permeability determination
- Advanced fluid determination methods: 3D map T1-T2-difussion
- Dielectric tools principles and applications
- Saturation determination parameters, m, n and CEC
- Geochemical logging tools
- Complex lithology evaluation examples
- Formation evaluation principles
- Rw determination methods
- Crossplots utilisation, Hingle and Pickett plots
- Graphical interpretation techniques for porosity and lithology
Formation Testers and Complex Lithology Evaluation
- Reservoir pressure determination tools
- Pre-test interpretation
- Lost seal, dry tests and supercharging
- Pressure gradient interpretation
- Fluid sampling, optical and composition fluid analysers
- Advanced probes for special well and reservoir conditions
- Permeability determination
- Saturation determination equations and techniques
- Complete formation evaluation for complex lithology
250 EUR + VAT (Vienna session)
250 USD (Bogota session)
The course fee includes tuition, course material, refreshments and lunch per session day and a 100 EURO non-refundable registration fee. Course fees do NOT include accommodation or living costs. Applicable taxes will be added.
The course is held at a top quality hotel with excellent meeting facilities.
Provider: HOT Engineering
HOT – World Class Training for Oil & Gas Professionals
HOT is a leading oil and gas training provider and E&P consulting company. We come together as a multidisciplinary team, combining 33 years of training and consulting experience to deliver state of the art public courses, bespoke in-house courses, long-term...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Open Hole and LWD Interpretation Principles and Applications course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's first annual U.K. L&D Report!
There are no reviews available yet.