Good Governance for Directors - Best Practice in Governance of the Board
This half-day course provides directors, senior managers and members of the board an exceptional opportunity to discuss their roles and legal responsibilities with both their peers and the ICSA experts on staff.
This briefing offers directors, both new to the industry and those with experience; with the fundamental understanding of their role within their company’s and what they can do to maximise their efficacy. The board’s role in promoting and deriving value from good governance is considered along with the relationship between governance and management. Other areas reviewed include how to choose ideal candidates for the board and legal contexts within which directors undertake their work.
The primary topics for this course include:
- Which governance provisions apply?
- Agreeing an appropriate level of compliance
- Deriving value from governance
- Governance v management
- Maximising board effectiveness
- Embedding effective processes
Delegates will have an opportunity to explore the role and legal responsibilities of directors in the UK with peers and ICSA experts, a framework through which to evaluate best practice in corporate governance as it relates to your board and recognition of the composition and behaviours of their own board – and tips on how to maximise its efficacy.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Good Governance for Directors programme is ideally suited to directors of the board on both public and private companies as well as new incoming directors.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Upon successful course completion of this full day course the course participant earns 3 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours.
Training Course Content
The training course content contains the following:
Governance Overview and Latest Developments
- Which governance provisions apply to your board?
- Agreeing on an appropriate level of compliance
- Deriving value from governance compliance
- Key points to consider
Maximising the Effectiveness of Your Board
- Focus on the board's role
- Governance v. management
- Getting the right people on board
- Maximising the effectiveness of board processes
- Evaluating your board's effectiveness - what can you achieve?
- Points from the new Companies Act, including the new directors' duties and derivative claims
- Hot topics - occupational health, safety, corporate manslaughter, environment, anti-discrimination, data protection and business continuity
ICSA provides this course as a company-specific programme, available at a time and place that is convenient for your organisational needs. In-house training is cost-effective, discrete, and flexible. Bring the expertise of ICSA trainers and guest speakers to your organisation. Please contact ICSA for programme cost and availability.
ICSA: The Governance Institute - Developing the skills of governance professionals
ICSA: The Governance Institute is the professional body for governance. With 125 years’ experience, we work with regulators and policymakers to champion high standard of governance and provide qualification, training and guidance. Aside from the comprehensive Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme (CSQS), which...
Find out more about this Governance Leadership Programme course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!