The ICI journalism course has been designed in association with experienced journalists and teaches you the skills that you need to succeed quickly and conveniently.
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in journalism
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a journalism pro in months not years!
- Study a journalism course that was designed in conjunction with the journalism industry
- Free up valuable time, don’t waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor
- Easy interest-free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Upcoming start dates
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
There are no previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a journalist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipJour
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program
Training Course Content
The World of Journalism
- The history of media and the free press
- The role of new technology
- The role of the journalist today
- How to write a news story
- The importance of the intro
- How to find the right angle
- Developing interviewing techniques
- How to ask the right questions
- Preventing the pitfalls
- What is defamation?
- What is copyright?
- The legal pitfalls for today’s journalists
TV and Radio
- he role of radio, TV and the internet
- How the radio/TV newsroom work
- Writing your news bulletin
- Improving your writing
- What is house style?
- How to file copy
Features and Specialisms
- How to plan and write a feature
- How to write a press release
- The role of the photo-journalist
- The structure of the courts
- How to write a safe court story
- What are inquests?
- The importance of Local and Central Govt
- What is the role of Europe?
- Covering council meetings
Where To Go From Here
- CV writing
- How does freelance work?
Course delivery details
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Why choose International Career Institute
98% happy with tutorial support
91% would recommend to a friend
Free careers service
Average rating 5
Having left full time employment to have a child I was a 'stay at home mum'. I really wanted to find a way of turning my writing skills into an income. The ICI journalism course...
The journalism program was a very enjoyable and worthwhile course. It provided me with a wide range of knowledge in all areas of journalism and gave me a focused idea of what ca...
Start your new career today with ICI's Distance Learning & Home Study courses
The International Career Institute (ICI), provides career development online courses for individuals and businesses, helping professionals across all industries to build and improve their skills and career performance. The International Career Institute (ICI) is a leading provider of distance education. Using...