Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Journalism Distance Learning Course - Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma Levels
This Journalism Distance Learning Course provides a flexible alternative for anyone looking to develop the skills necessary to work in different areas of professional journalism.
Developed by experienced professionals with many years of experience, the programme covers a key range of topics that will ensure your career in journalism has a strong foundation. From interviewing techniques to public administration, it addresses topics and issues that are key to succeeding in a competitive industry. What's more, students benefit from a flexible training format that lets them study at their own pace, wherever they are, with full tutor support and payment plans from as low as £25 per week.
Course length and study mode
The average time within which students complete studies is:
- Certificate Level - 14 weeks
- Diploma Level - 24 weeks
- Advanced Diploma Level - 31 weeks
The maximum time given to complete a programme is three years.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Journalism Course is suitable for people who aim to start a successful career in the world of journalism.
Choose from 3 course levels
This distance learning course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at, the course content and the type of assessment:
- Certificate Level: Suitable for basic entry level positions this level represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge.
- Diploma Level: Suitable for those with personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
- Advanced Diploma: Suitable for those expect to be involved in significant judgements, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Participants may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
This ICI distance learning course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC).
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognising your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a Journalist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipJour
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Programme
Training Course Content
The course covers the following topics:
The World of Journalism
- The history of media and the free press
- The role of new technology
- The role of the journalist today
- How to write a news story
- The importance of the intro
- How to find the right angle
- Developing interviewing techniques
- How to ask the right questions
- Preventing the pitfalls
- What is defamation?
- What is copyright?
- The legal pitfalls for today's journalists
TV and Radio
- The role of radio, TV and the internet
- How the radio/TV newsroom works
- Writing your news bulletin
- Improving your writing
- What is house style?
- How to file copy
Features and Specialisms
- How to plan and write a feature
- How to write a press release
- The role of the photo-journalist
- The structure of the courts
- How to write a safe court story
- What are inquests?
- The importance of Local and Central Govt
- What is the role of Europe?
- Covering council meetings
Where To Go From Here
- CV writing
- How does a freelance work?
The cost of this course depends on the level chosen, and prices are as follows:
- Certificate £498
- Diploma £798
- Advanced Diploma £998
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
Start your new career today with ICI's Distance Learning & Home Study courses
The International Career Institute (ICI), provides career development online courses for individuals and businesses, helping professionals across all industries to build and improve their skills and career performance. You can study at home, in your own time, at your own pace. Designed...