Getting the right balance of nutrients is essential when feeding animals. Provide your animals with the right diet to thrive from cradle to grave
As the saying goes, "You are what you eat." This is as true for our pets as it is for us. But with so many different diets and formulations on the shelves, the world of pet food may seem baffling and overwhelming.
This highly digestible course will help you understand your pet's dietary needs and give a solid grounding in pet nutrition. The course helps you understand food labelling, how much and when to feed, and not forgetting our smaller furry (and scaly) friends as we pick a path through the maze of pet nutrition.
Food glorious food! You're on safe ground spotting a steak is not a cabbage, but can you tell proteins, carbohydrates and fats from vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants? Learn nutritional aspects such as:
- Food groups: What foods are made up of
- Types of food: How commercial diets are packaged
- Food labelling: Decode the small print
- Know how much to feed
Understand Your Pet's Nutritional Needs
A dog has different nutritional needs to a cat, which is different to a rabbit. Indeed, don't stop there because birds, fish, and reptiles all have specific needs. Learn about:
- Different types of digestion: Herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores
- Life stage feeding: Youngster, adult, or senior pet
- Matching lifestyle to nutrition: How to feed the active animal, for pregnancy or lactation
- Why a cat isn't a small dog
- Mealtimes vs ad lib feeding
- Avoiding fussy eaters
The Weighty Matter of Weight
It's official: Lean animals live longer.
Learn how to assess your pet's weight and then diet them for longer life:
- Body score your pet
- Feeding for painless weight loss
- What every overweight diabetic cat should know
Suitability - Who should attend?
Who is this course for?
This course will be of great interest to animal lovers and professionals in the pet care industry who would like to better understand the nutritional needs of animals, how to properly care for pets, and to any learner who is interested in pet care as a future industry to work in.
This is also a great resource for those who would like to own animals and want to provide the highest level of care for their pets.
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you're already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
Training Course Content
Learn how to switch diets without upsetting your pet's tummy, and weigh up the pros and cons of various diets such as:
- Raw meaty bones
- A homemade diet
- Supermarket food
- Veterinary approved diets
- Prescription diets
Learn the crucial importance of an unprocessed high fiber diet to your rabbit's health and well-being. Also, how to feed the following for optimal health:
- Guinea pigs
- Hamsters, gerbils, rats, and mice
- Tortoises, turtles, and terrapins
- Reptiles, including snakes.
Course delivery details
The course is valid for 90 days. You can purchase lifetime access for an additional £10.
Why choose International Open Academy
1 million+ students
Presence in 139 countries
95% Happy customers
- Candidates with an interest in working with animals
- Anyone interested in a career in animal nutrition or animal care
- Those interested in owning animals, volunteering at animal shelters, or fostering animals.
- Existing animal care workers in pursuit of promotion
- Those seeking to improve the lives of their pets through proper nutritional care
International Open Academy
IOA courses are created by an expert team of professional online educators with a depth of experience across a variety of industries. Get hands-on knowledge and insider tips on new skills or careers that interest you most. With over 600,000...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!