Drafting Legislation - A 1-Week Training Course
This one-week training course in Drafting Legislation is designed to cover the essential steps of converting policy into legislation, by enabling delegates to understand the process of making new laws.
By completing this course, participants will be able to contribute to the drafting of new legislation and prepare instructions for professional draftsmen. The course offers them the opportunity to already practice legislative drafting skills.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This training course is designed for:
- Senior Managers and Government personnel responsible for turning policy into legislation
- Officials who instruct Parliamentary draftsmen
- Assistants to legislators involved in creating draft legislation
- Members of parliament, senators, assembly members
- Legal advisors and practitioners from both public and private sectors
Training Course Content
This Drafting Legislation course will cover:
Legislative instruments under the microscope
- Types of legislation
- Primary and secondary legislation
- Dissecting a statute
- Structure and elements of an Act of Parliament
- Assembling the machinery of an Act
- Problems with how laws work
- Principles of drafting
- Alternative approaches
- Planning your draft
- Writing for the reader
- Using plain English
- Dos and Don’ts in drafting
- Writing instructions for the parliamentary draftsman
Interpretation and construction of Statutes
- Identifying the purpose of a law
- The Mischief Rule
- The Golden Rule
- Judicial interpretation of legislation
- Judicial creativity and the sovereignty of parliament
Stakeholder participation in Law-Making
- The need for involvement
- Formal and informal consultation
- Consultation processes
- The draft Bill and consultation
- Ethical lobbying
- The role of the public affairs professional
Turning Policy into practice
- Why do some laws fail to achieve their objectives?
- Effective and ineffective law making
- Education, communication and legal effectiveness
- The challenge of over-complex laws
- How to address legal effectiveness issues
- Alternatives to law making – nudge theory
London Corporate Training offers the possibility of delivering this training programme in-house to meet any and all company-specific training needs.
London Corporate Training have been established in the education, consulting and training industries for two decades. They work as a training team from their head office in London and aim to ensure all of their course participants receive the highest...
Find out more about this Drafting Legislation course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!