Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Press Release Writing - 1-Day Course
Learn how to write effective press releases and better understand the media with this introductory course from the London School of Public Relations.
The CPD-certified and highly practical course will cover the fundamentals of press release writing using the "5 W's" approach: Who, Why, Where, What and When. The course will also cover essentials such as:
- Understanding the media
- Analysing successful and unsuccessful press releases
- Writing effective press releases that capture your audience
- Creating excellent contacts within the media
- Structuring and balancing information within a press release
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On completion of the course participants will be awarded an Effective Press Release Writing Skills Certificate from the London School of Public Relations.
Training Course Content
The course content outline is as follows:
Understanding the Press
- How the media operates
- Creating and building your media contact list
- The various technologies that the media use
- Building a network of solid contacts
- Understanding the various types of print and online publications and media
- How to target your press release to various publications
- What the press look for in a press release and how to stand out from the crowd
- Delivery methods of the press release – acceptable and effective methods of delivery
- Digital press releases verses traditional press releases
- Distribution of press releases – using media agencies
Structure and Content of a Press Release
- The main elements of the press release – the building blocks
- The overall standard structure of a press release
- Getting the headline right – how to make it noticeable and retain credibility
- The importance of the lead paragraph
- Writing the main body of the press release
- Ensuring that content is factual, relevant and accurate
- The importance of correct grammar
- Getting the tone and balance of information right
- The effective use of imagery within press releases – the do's and don'ts
- Looking at examples of press releases – the good and the bad
- Practicing writing press releases – set exercises covering a range of topics
- Feedback from the trainer on the set exercises
Making a Press Release Attractive to the Press
- Writing persuasive and compelling press releases
- How to make your press release newsworthy
- How to make your press release stand out to the press
- Writing attention grabbing headlines
- The effective use of images
- Getting the timing right
Understanding the Target Audience
- Writing press releases that appeal to target audiences
- Understanding how to adjust the press release depending on who the audience are
- A practical exercise is set to see how your skills have developed
- Feedback on the set exercise
- Q & A
The cost of this course is £380 per participant.
The London School of Public Relations can also deliver this course as in-house training for your company, tailored to meet specific business needs or areas of interest. Contact the school for more information.
London School of Public Relations - Advance Your PR Career
Since 1992 the London School of Public Relations (LSPR) has been training aspiring and existing PR professionals to help them progress their careers in public relations and related roles. The school offers a range of practical, intensive, tailored and engaging training...