Essential project management skills - 5 day Course
This Essential project management skills training course is the ideal starting point for anyone who is new to project management in the oil and gas industry and wants to gain hands-on experience of the skills and tools required to manage projects effectively.
It is an introductory/intermediate-level workshop based on computer simulation that aims to teach aspiring project managers how to:
- how to prepare project strategies and plans
- how to create highly effective project organisation structures and teams
- how to secure project sanction how to manage project risks
- how to estimate and manage project costs how to estimate and manage project duration
- how to carry out a post-project appraisal
Computer-based training and project simulations are used during this hands-on course, including a sample project to allow you to practise using project management tools and techniques. At the end of the course, you will be able to retain all project examples created during the course for future reference.
(You should bring your own laptop with Microsoft Project pre-installed for this course.)
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Essential project management skills training course is suitable for anyone with little or no project management experience who wants to gain skill and confidence in handling projects in the oil and gas industry.
It is designed for project managers, supervisors and personnel from a variety of functions including maintenance, engineering, construction and information technology.
Candidates should bring a personal laptop with Microsoft Project pre-installed.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Participants on this course are eligible for 35 hours of CPD accreditation on completion.
Training Course Content
This Essential project management skills course is designed to cover the following subject areas:
What is a project?
- Defining a project
- What makes project management different from other management?
- Typical different project phases and their deliverables
- The role of the project manager
- The skills of the project manager
- What we mean by project strategy
- Strategic alternatives
- The importance of setting clear project objectives
- How to prepare a project strategy
- Project economic appraisal
- The secrets of getting your project approved
The role of procurement and contracts in projects
- Developing a project contracts strategy
Managing project human resources
- How to develop a project organisation structure
- How to become a project leader
- How to create highly effective project teams
- How to motivate your project team
- The role and purpose of Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- How to develop a project WBS
- The role and purpose of network diagrams
- How to draw a project network diagram
- How to identify the project Critical Path (CP)
- How to calculate project float or slack
- Using project float to eliminate resource over-allocation
- How to prepare the project Gantt chart
Project cost estimating
- Different classes of cost estimates
- The "bottom up" approach
- The "top down" approach
- The parametric method
Managing project risks
- How to identify project risks
- The project risk plan
Implementing the project
- Measuring and forecasting project progress
- Managing project contracts
- Controlling and forecasting project cost
- The "accounting" cost control and forecasting method
- Forecasting project cost at completion using Earned Value Analysis (EVA)
- How to judge and measure the success of the project
- Using learning outcomes for future benefit
Course delivery details
Why choose MDT International
Over 90% of participants say our training met or exceeded their expectations
MDT have worked with 500+ organisations worldwide
Our trainers have 25+ years of experience in the O&G Industry
Course Fee: £2750.00 (+ VAT for attending UK courses). Fees include your attendance at the relevant training course/s and the provision of a comprehensive training course manual, course completion certificate, plus lunch and refreshments during the training day. Fees do not include accommodation and living costs.
MDT International can also provide this course on an in-house course basis, to discuss please submit enquiry.
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
MDT International - Finance, Commercial & Management Courses for the Oil & Gas Industry
MDT delivers commercial training courses in most major established and emerging international oil and gas hubs. Whether you're taking part in an open course, or benefiting from the customised experience of our in-house training, you know what you’ll learn from some...
Average rating 4.7Based on 3 reviews
Find out more about this Essential Project Management Skills course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!
1,450 GBP-1,950 GBP
Corporate Training for Teams