Geophysical and Geotechnical Investigation and DesignNottingham Trent University
Geophysical and Geotechnical Investigation and Design
This course develops your knowledge and skills in relation to a range of site investigation techniques on the shallow ground sub-surface.
You’ll gain awareness of processes and issues across a range of techniques used to provide information during ground investigations.
The course will provide a sound background to decision-making relating the implementation of geotechnical design.
You’ll learn to analyse and design some typical geotechnical structures, with topics being reviewed within the context of safe and sustainable development.
This course will include workshops, seminars and practical exercises relating to:
- The theory of electro-magnetic (EM) wave propagation
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR)
- EM methods
- Electrical methods (resistivity, conductivity)
- Seismic methods (refraction, reflection and surface wave analysis)
- Gravity methods
- Magnetic methods.
Advanced soil mechanics:
- Critical state theory
- Stress paths
- Unsaturated soil mechanics.
Advanced analysis and design:
- Ground improvement
- Reinforced soil
- Dynamic loading (pavements/rail environments)
- Laterally loaded piles
- Pile groups
- Development of brownfield sites, including engineered and non-engineered fill material, and contaminated land implications.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Entry requirement: You should have relevant professional experience and/or an undergraduate qualification in a related subject.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- display an understanding of the range of geophysical techniques that relate to civil engineering applications
- identify and apply appropriate geophysical investigation methods for particular types of work
- display a critical understanding of the accuracies, limitations and other implications of using particular investigation methods
- demonstrate how theory is used to analyse the behaviour of geotechnical structures
- undertake the design of geotechnical structures in accordance with current standards
- show insight into the sustainability and H&S issues relevant to geotechnical design
- use a range of investigation equipment for carrying out particular types of geophysical and/or non-destructive investigations
- process a range of different types of investigation data using appropriate methodologies to solve problems related to geophysics and geotechnics
- produce a ground profile with engineering parameters suitable for use in geotechnical design
- interpret and communicate findings from geophysical and geotechnical investigations.
Nottingham Trent University Creative, Language and Built Environment Short Courses One of the largest and most popular universities in the UK, Nottingham Trent University (NTU) provides beginners, improvers and professionals the opportunity to expand skills and knowledge by attending a short...
Find out more about this Geophysical and Geotechnical Investigation and Design course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!