Photography, Alchemy and the Artists Book
On this course you will create innovative images that combine digital technology with primitive photographic processes.
This practical course combines digital photography, darkroom processes and the self-published artists’ book.
You will begin by refreshing your knowledge of digital photography as well as improving your awareness of contemporary photography at a local, national and international level.
You will learn simple and effective darkroom techniques that are used by today's artists and designers.
These techniques will enable you to engage with the past and identify with the history of photography and its early pioneers.
During the course you will:
- learn about alternative photographic processes
- draw on established ideas and principles to develop a personal approach to photography and define your own project
- create innovative images that combine digital technology with primitive photographic processes.
In your second week you will apply this knowledge to exploring craft-based presentation skills, namely the artists’ book:
- learn how to select handmade books
- learn the basic techniques of Adobe InDesign to produce effective layouts
- print your work using digital printing methods and learn about the print process
- choose the appropriate binding method for your publication
- hear how artists are using these techniques today
- learn how different methods can be adopted for different audiences
- choose the appropriate method to complete an innovative piece of artwork.
No previous experience is required, although owning a digital camera and knowing the basics of working in manual mode is useful.
By the end of the course you will have put on a mini exhibition of your darkroom prints and created a contemporary hand-crafted book!
This course is also part of the NTU Global Summer School which attracts undergraduate students from colleges around the world.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Entry requirement: No experience is required.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Certificate of attendance.
Nottingham Trent University Creative, Language and Built Environment Short Courses One of the largest and most popular universities in the UK, Nottingham Trent University (NTU) provides beginners, improvers and professionals the opportunity to expand skills and knowledge by attending a short...
Find out more about this Photography, Alchemy and the Artists Book course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!