Sustainable Fabrics for Fashion: Creative and Technical ApproachesNottingham Trent University
Sustainable Fabrics for Fashion: Creative and Technical Approaches
On this practical design course, you’ll develop your fabric development skills and learn how to apply them to emerging green markets.
You will learn about the origins of fibres, their production methods and current technological developments, and how the fundamental values of ‘craft’ remain central to the process.
As well as new technical knowledge, you will be creating a catalogue of creative samples and a simple garment and/or accessories using the techniques you’ve learnt.
On the course, you will:
- discover what sustainability means in fashion and textile design and production
- compare the fast-fashion commercial model to more responsible practices
- visit a local charity shop and explore brands, styles and fibre blends (and purchase one item to disassemble back in the workshop)
- learn about sustainable fabric sourcing, including zero waste, cradle to cradle and cradle to grave
- complete a life-cycle assessment
- explore natural dying, knit and woven fabrics
- create a garment using sustainable approaches.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Level: Open to all
Entry requirement: A professional or academic background in design is useful, but not essential.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
This course is ideal if you're working in the fashion or textile industry, hoping to pursue further academic study at undergraduate or postgraduate level, or a craft maker interested in developing new products.
What will I gain?
By the end of the course, you will have a technical file full of notes, a material and production catalogue, sustainable designs, a series of swatches and a simple garment that you’ve made.
Nottingham Trent University Creative, Language and Built Environment Short Courses One of the largest and most popular universities in the UK, Nottingham Trent University (NTU) provides beginners, improvers and professionals the opportunity to expand skills and knowledge by attending a short...
Find out more about this Sustainable Fabrics for Fashion: Creative and Technical Approaches course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!