Querying Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL - In-house Training
The Querying Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL course covers the basics of the SQL language as implemented by Microsoft SQL Server. The course is designed to give delegates practical experience in writing Transact-SQL statements using the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) development environment. The basic Transact-SQL statements, including the use of many built-in Transact-SQL functions are covered on this course. This course covers Microsoft SQL Server up to version 2016.
The delegate will learn and acquire skills as follows:
- Writing SELECT queries
- Sorting and filtering data
- Using SQL aggregate functions
- Using SET operators
- Writing joins to query multiple tables
- Using built-in functions
- Using Subqueries
- Inserting, updating, deleting and merging rows
- Transaction control
Anyone who needs to access and work with a Microsoft SQL Server Database.
To provide the Transact-SQL (T-SQL) coding skills needed to query and modify data held within a Microsoft SQL Server database.
This course will cover some of the topics required for exams 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server and 70-761:Querying Data with Transact-SQL.
Before taking any exam, ensure you have the recommended experience. The Microsoft website lists all exam requirements and these are updated regularly.
Exams are not included as part of the course.
There are no formal pre-requisites, although an understanding of databases and exposure to information technology in general would be useful.
- Advanced Querying Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL
- Programming Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL
- Course technical content is subject to change without notice.
- Course content is structured as sessions, this does not strictly map to course timings. Concepts, content and practicals often span sessions.
Course Contents - DAY 1
- Administration and Course Materials
- Course Structure and Agenda
- Delegate and Trainer Introductions
Session 1: DATABASE CONCEPTS
- What is a database
- Database management systems
- Databases, Schemas, Tables, rows and columns
- Indexes, primary keys, unique constraints and foreign keys
- Supported data types
- System Tables
Session 2: USING SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO
- Getting started with SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Selecting a database
- Entering and executing SQL statements
- Creating, editing and executing SQL files
Session 3: WRITING SELECT QUERIES
- Writing simple SQL SELECT statement
- Using DISTINCT to remove duplicate data
- Filtering Data with Predicates
- Logical operators
- The ORDER BY clause
- Filtering with the TOP and OFFSET-FETCH
- Using Column aliases
- Arithmetic expressions
- Precedence of operators
Session 4: USING SET OPERATORS
- Writing Queries using the UNION operator
- Using the INTERSECT operator
- Using the EXCEPT operator
- Introducing the APPLY operator
Session 5: GROUPING AND AGGREGATING DATA
- Using aggregate functions
- Using the GROUP BY clause
- Using Rollup with GROUP BY
- Filtering grouped data with the HAVING clause
Course Contents - DAY 2
Session 6: QUERYING MULTIPLE TABLES
- Understanding JOINS
- CROSS Joins
- Using INNER Joins
- Using Table Aliases
- Using OUTER Joins: LEFT, RIGHT and FULL
- Using SELF JOINS
Session 7: NUMERIC AND CHARACTER FUNCTIONS
- Function types
- Testing functions
- Numeric functions
- Character functions
Session 8: DATE AND TIME FUNCTIONS
- Date and time column types
- Date and time formats
- Functions to return Today's date and time
- Functions to extract components of a date (Day, Month, Year)
- Date time arithmetic
- Displaying Dates in specific Date formats
Course Contents - DAY 3
Session 9: CONVERSION AND MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS
- Converting a string to a date
- Converting a string to a number
- Converting a number to a string
- Using Functions to work with NULL
- Using CASE expressions
Session 10: USING SUBQUERIES
- Using self contained subqueries
- Using correlated subqueries
- Using the EXISTS predicate with subqueries
Session 11: MANAGING DATA
- Inserting rows
- Updating rows
- Deleting rows
- Merging rows
- The truncate statement
- Transaction control
StayAhead Training established 1992, is recognised as one of the leading independent IT Training specialists in the UK and the first choice provider for many of UK's largest organisations. Located in 7 training centres throughout the UK: London, Birmingham, Manchester,...
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Querying Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL - In-house Training course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!