Structural Robustness and Disproportionate Collapse of BuildingsThe Institution of Structural Engineers
Structural Robustness and Disproportionate Collapse of Buildings
This course equips engineers to undertake the full structural design of a building, including designing a robust building to avoid disproportionate collapse. The course covers designing buildings of Class 1 – 2B and alterations/change of use of existing buildings.
Ruth Haynes is a chartered civil engineer with 20 years’ experience in a design environment. She works as a party wall surveyor in central London, while teaching and training. Before this, Ruth ran her own engineering consultancy for 13 years. She also worked in Dhaka, inspecting clothing factories in the wake of the Rana Plaza collapse.
Complete the Request Info form below to ask any questions.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Newly Chartered or almost Chartered Engineers who are independently doing the outline, scheme and detailed design of buildings. Two to six years in a Consulting Engineering Company with the expectation of being near to a Chartered Engineer or recently Chartered.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Describe the layout and structure of a robust building and explain what makes a building vulnerable
- Summarise which legislation is relevant to disproportionate collapse and identify key clauses
- Classify buildings into their types, with respect to building use and size
- Outline different approaches for achieving robustness
- Determine a strategy for robustness compliance for buildings of different material types, use and size
- Analyse an existing building that is being altered or extended and develop an outline scheme for robustness using guidance from London District Surveyors Association
The Institution of Structural Engineers is the world’s largest membership organisation dedicated to the art and science of structural engineering. The Institution's training programme offers a variety of technical and professional courses of the highest quality for members and non-members...
Find out more about this Structural Robustness and Disproportionate Collapse of Buildings course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!