MA Leadership for Development (Online course)The University of Manchester
MA Leadership for Development (Online course)
All available course dates
MA Leadership for Development
Create change through collaboration
Learn to lead with confidence and tackle contemporary development challenges, working in partnership to find sustainable solutions.
This fully-online master's, delivered jointly with the University of Melbourne, focuses on the practical skills, global connections and collaborative outlook needed to make a real difference in the development world.
Suitability - Who should attend?
To apply for the Master of Leadership for Development you are required to have:
A bachelor degree with honours (minimum Upper Second (2:1) or international equivalent) and at least two years of documented, relevant work experience; or a H2B (70%) or equivalent at The University of Melbourne
In order to be considered for entry, you must have completed:
- An honours degree in a cognate discipline (e.g. social sciences including anthropology; sociology; public policy; social policy; political science; media and communication; journalism; economics; management; population and global health; education; engineering; or architecture and public planning), or equivalent and at least two years of documented, relevant professional work experience, or
- an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline (e.g. social sciences including anthropology; sociology; public policy; social policy; political science; media and communication; journalism; economics; management; population and global health; education; engineering; or architecture and public planning), or equivalent, and at least two years of documented, relevant professional work experience, or
- a minimum of eight years documented, relevant professional work experience. Candidates entering through this route will be registered for the master's certificate under a probation arrangement. Failure to pass all master's certificate course units in the first year of study will disallow registration for a higher-level qualification.
English language entry requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English must meet the following language requirements:
- IELTS Test score of 6.5 or more overall, with a minimum score of 6.5 in writing and a minimum score of 6.0 in the other subsections, or
- TOEFL internet-based test score of 90 or more overall, with a minimum writing score of 22 and no other subsection below 20, or
- Pearson Test of English score of 62 or more overall, with a minimum score of 62 in writing and a minimum score of 55 in the other subsections, or
- Grade C in the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, or
- Grade A in the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
What you will learn
- Adopt a new approach to leadership, with sustainability and collaboration at its core.
- Learn to effectively navigate complex circumstances and challenges in contemporary development.
- Build skills for effective negotiation, diplomacy and cross-cultural communication.
- Champion positive, proactive and improved social transformation in a global context.
How it will benefit your career
- Build a professional network across the globe and be in prime position to hear about the latest international opportunities.
- Through our highly-interactive teaching platform, learn from the experiences of colleagues in diverse settings and gain a broader perspective.
- Use skills and knowledge acquired through the course in your job from day one to start advancing in your role and beyond.
- Practise applying your skills in real-life scenarios through our simulation platform, and be prepared for a range of situations.
Training Course Content
Taught from a global, future-focused perspective, you will explore key development theories, contemporary global issues in development, fundamental principles of leadership and the nuances of leading in development, the complexities of institutional structures and how to implement change within an organisational context.
With a focus on highly applicable skills and knowledge, you will also learn through interactive, state-of-the-art simulations that allow you to experience and practice real-world scenarios. You will complete four taught units in year one, followed by two taught units and a research project in year two. You’ll learn through a mix of interactive teaching and have plenty of opportunities to work collaboratively with your peers.
- Contemporary Development
- Leading Development
- Organisation Development and Change
- International Management and Leadership
- Leadership Skills in Action
Course delivery details
This fully-online, part-time master's means you can study from anywhere in the world and fit it around your day-to-day life. You will be expected to learn while you continue to work, and to use examples from your work throughout your study.
You will complete four taught units in year one, followed by two taught units and a research project in year two. You'll learn through a mix of interactive teaching and have plenty of opportunities to work collaboratively with your peers.
Please visit our website for detailed pricing information.
The University of Manchester
Part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, The University of Manchester is recognized across the globe for its research and teaching quality, covering undergraduate and postgraduates programs, as well as specially designed online and blended learning courses to allow...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!
2,416 GBP-2,685 GBP
968 GBP-1,075 GBP
Corporate Training for Teams