MBA Essentials – Project Management
Taught over four days, our MBA Essentials course is made up of 'unbundled' modules from our full Executive MBA degree. The MBA Essentials offers block-teaching modules that fits busy schedule and will support managers with their career prospects, either in their own organisation or moving elsewhere.
The main aim of the MBA Essentials – Project Management is to introduce participants to the key features of effective project management. The module will therefore develop an understanding of how effective project management contributes to organisational success and enable managers to implement a project management approach. This will comprise both the techniques of project management (planning, scheduling, control and evaluation) and the organisational, team and leadership aspects of managing projects. There will be an emphasis on large scale projects and consideration of international projects and alternative approaches to project management. Overall, the emphasis will be on critical reflection of assumptions, techniques and procedures and a development of managerial thinking within a project environment.
The major topics are:
- Project Strategy
- Project Selection
- Organisation: Structure and Culture
- Project Definition and Design
- Project Finance
- Scheduling and Resource Management
- Risk and Uncertainty in Projects
- Leadership: Being an Effective Project Manager
- Managing Project Teams
- Suppliers and Partnering
- Performance Measurement and Evaluation
- Project Closure
- International Projects
- Alternative Approaches to Project Management
By the end of the module, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the key features of effective project management
- Critically examine the different approaches that may be adopted in design and implementation of projects
- Demonstrate how projects interact with the wider managerial environment
- Critically examine how organisations manage risk and uncertainty in projects
- Show competency in applying techniques and tools to the management of their own projects
What is a Microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your Microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn with expert instructors: Complete courses led by experts with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Earn a professional credential:Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career:Use your Microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
Upcoming start dates
Date to be confirmed
Suitability - Who should attend?
In order to be accepted onto the MBA Essentials – Project Management , you must possess:
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent), or equivalent professional qualification
- Five years work experiencewith evidence of extensive managerial experience or professional responsibility. Three years exceptional work experience meeting this criteria will also be considered
IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band).
IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band is equivalent to:
- TOEFL: 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): PTE Academic 67 with no less than 64 in all four skills
- Cambridge English (exams taken from 2015): Advanced – minimum overall score of 176, with no less than 169 in any component
If you are currently studying at a Chinese university, please view ourspecific entry requirements including our list of acceptable universities for further study at Birmingham.
Please note we will also consider candidates without a first degree or professional qualification but with at least ten years’ work experience including significant managerial responsibility.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
What will you receive?
Our MBA Essentials – Project Management will allow you to focus on specific areas in order for you to develop your career in the way that you want to. Each course is designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge of entrepreneurship and innovation which will meet the needs of a wide range of learners and organisations.
- 10 UK Credits at Postgraduate level from University of Birmingham
- A Postgraduate Microcredential certificate from University of Birmingham
Certification of UoB academic credit for PG Microcredential courses is through production of an official University of Birmingham Microcredential certificate and transcript managed by UoB Student Records.
Training Course Content
The skills you will gain
Demonstrate understanding of the key features of effective project management
Critically examine the different approaches that may be adopted in design and implementation of projects
Demonstrate how projects interact with the wider managerial environment
Critically examine how organisations manage risk and uncertainty in projects
Show competency in applying techniques and tools to the management of their own projects
Course delivery details
The MBA Essentials offers block-teaching modules.
£2,537 - Scholarships available
We are offering up to15 £1,000 scholarshipsfor learners studying an MBA Essentials short course.
University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact...