Approximately 73% of paid staff working in childcare have at least a Level 3 qualification, which reflects the previous government’s policy aimed at encouraging staff working in an under 8 childcare environment to be qualified to this level. In the future this will be a requirement for all childcare practitioners.
This 18 month apprenticeship will give you a great start into a career in childcare.
You must achieve a minimum of 65 credits to achieve this qualification. Some units are mandatory and some you may choose with the agreement of your employer and assessor. Your assessor will go through these units with you and your employer in more detail and discuss how the credits work so you may achieve your qualification successfully. Your assessor will visit you in the workplace to assess you to ensure you meet the minimum national standards.
Units covered include:
- Understand children and young people’s development
- Promote children and young people’s development
- Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
- Support children and young people’s health and safety
- Develop positive relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care
- Work together for the benefit of children and young people
- Understand how to support positive outcomes for children and young people
- Promote communication in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Engage in personal development in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Promote equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Principles for implementing duty of care in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Understand and promote children and young people's development
- Health and safety
- Develop, maintain and support positive relationships
- Promote communication in health, social care or children's and young people's settings.
You will complete one of the following pathways:
- Early learning and childcare
- Social care
- Learning, development and support services
Optional units are available in the following areas:
- Working with parents
- Positive behaviour
- Learning and development
- Disabilities and special educational needs
- Speech, language and communication
- Children and young people at risk
- Physical and nutritional needs
- Independent living
- The referral procedure
- Different childcare services
- Positive relationships
- Providing information and advice
- The education process.
You will also complete the following:
- Knowledge qualification
- Personal learning and thinking skills
- Maths functional skills level 2
- English functional skills level 2
- ICT functional skills level 2
- Employment rights and responsibilities.
Suitability - Who should attend?
For the advanced apprenticeship programme, you should be working at least 30 hours per week in a nursery or in a school's reception or nursery class, and have successfully completed your probationary period. Please note, you need to have a job before applying for an apprenticeship. Please view the Apprenticeships tab on our website to view current vacancies. You should also have a Level 2 Diploma or equivalent in childcare or health and care and be able to demonstrate a good underpinning knowledge of the sector. Occasionally we accept applicants who do not have any prior qualifications, but who have at least one year's work or voluntary experience in the childcare sector at a level where they may be working on their own or supervising others. You will need to undertake a criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service to determine that you have no criminal offences that could put children or staff at risk.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Advanced Apprenticeship at Level 3
West Thames College Apprenticeships
Responsive - They are one of London's most innovative and responsive apprenticeship providers offering professional programmes in: Business ICT Accountancy Leadership & Management Health & Care Construction Catering Hair Beauty Motor Vehicle Logistics Automotive Clay Modelling. Innovative - Over the...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!