Arborist - Level 2 ApprenticeshipWrittle University College
Arborist - Level 2 Apprenticeship
All available course dates
Arborist - Level 2 Apprenticeship
Writtle University College are excited to be offering the new Arborist Apprenticeship Standard, which has been specifically designed by employers to meet the needs of industry and provide you with the skills and knowledge to succeed in your industry.
As an Arborist Apprentice you will need to be committed to learning both the practical and vital underpinning knowledge needed to work in this role. An arborist will undertake aerial tree work but will also undertake ground-based activities. Your work as an arborist involves diverse activities such as chainsaw work, aerial tree work, pruning, dismantling and using appropriate machinery such as brushwood chippers. To support this wide skills requirement the Apprenticeship includes eleven of the key Competency Certificates to building up your skills from chainsaw maintenance, to being able to safely carry out work on trees through climbing and access via MEWPS. Tree work can be physically demanding and involves working outdoors in all weathers. As an apprentice you must adhere to safe working practices, carry out physical work and be prepared to work in all weather conditions. You will be required to have dedication and commitment to cope with the rigours of the role.
Suitability - Who should attend?
If you do not have a GCSE Grade 4 (C Grade) in Maths and English you will complete Functional Skills in English and Maths or there is the option to study for Maths and English GCSE (depending on previous qualifications).
Outcome / Qualification etc.
The course includes the following competency certificates
- Level 3 award in emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 award in safe use of brushwood chipper
- Traffic Management (NRSWA Unit 002 Signing, Lighting and Guarding) OR Sector Scheme 12D
- Level 2 award in chainsaw maintenance
- Level 2 award in crosscutting timber using a chainsaw
- Level 2 award in felling and processing trees up to 380mm
- Level 2 award in accessing a tree using a rope and harness
- Level 3 award in aerial tree rescue operations
- Level 3 award in aerial cutting of trees using free fall techniques
- Level 2 award in safe use of mobile elevated work platform
- Level 3 award in use of a chainsaw from a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP)
Training Course Content
The apprentice provides a mix of in-depth underpinning knowledge and practical skills that will produce a highly qualified and employable apprentice.
- Recognise health and safety needs onsite and work safely
- Take instruction from the job supervisor and other senior work colleagues to include signing onto the site specific risk assessment / emergency action plan and maintaining records.
- Process tree work arisings using appropriate machinery
- Recognise a range of tree and shrub species using common and scientific names
- Identify pests, diseases, disorders and tree defects
- Carry out a range of ground-based pruning operations
- Fell and process small trees
- Support aerial tree workers both Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP) and climbing with transfer of equipment for aerial tree work operations
- Perform an aerial rescue of colleague from a rope and harness and a MEWP
- Work safely at height in the tree under supervision
- Prepare sites for planting, plant trees and provide support, protection and aftercare
Why choose Writtle University College
Ranked Top University-Sector Institution in England for overall student satisfaction!
*Based on NSS 2020 Based on Taught Data
Beautiful rural campus situated between London and the coast.
Rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted
Writtle University College
Writtle University College offers a range of land-based, design and sport courses at various levels of academic study including Postgraduate, Undergraduate, Further Education, Short Courses and Apprenticeships. We also provide students with the options of being able to study certain...
Find out more about this Arborist - Level 2 Apprenticeship course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!