Golf Greenkeeper - Level 2 ApprenticeshipWrittle University College
Golf Greenkeeper - Level 2 Apprenticeship
All available course dates
Golf Greenkeeper - Level 2 Apprenticeship
Writtle University College are excited to be rolling out the new Golf Greenkeeper Apprenticeship Standard, which has been specifically designed by employers to meet the needs of industry and provide you with the skills and knowledge to succeed in your industry.
The Apprenticeship provides a blend of practical hands on experience with the underpinning knowledge. At the end of the Apprenticeship you will be required to complete an independent End-Point Assessment to prove you have gained the required skills to achieve the Apprenticeship.
A Golf Greenkeeper is responsible for the maintenance, care and overall appearance of a golf course in line with employer's requirements. It is their job to maintain a good quality playing surface and ensure the course offers a consistent challenge and an enjoyable experience for golfers.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Complete Functional Skills in English and Maths or there is the option to study for Maths and English GCSE (depending on previous qualifications)*.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Gain a City & Guilds accredited and nationally recognised qualification.
Training Course Content
A Golf Greenkeeper must be able to:
- Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others
- Prepare the golf course for play which will include removing early morning dew and debris from the greens, raking bunkers, moving tee markers, cutting new holes on greens
- Prepare and use equipment and machinery to maintain and renovate all turf surfaces within the golf course, including the use of tractors, ride-on machines, and specialist equipment
- Apply turf treatments to help produce quality playing surfaces, including fertilisers and top dressing
Knowledge and Understanding
A Golf Greenkeeper must understand the following technical knowledge:
- Identify their role in monitoring and maintaining health and safety within the workplace
- Identification of a number of grasses, weeds, pests, diseases, turf disorders, plants and trees
- The primary aspects of soil and plant biology to include the process of germination - photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration
- The principles of mowing and machine maintenance and their operation
- The need and implications of rolling, verti-cutting, scarification and aeration
- The strategies for controlling weeds, pests, diseases and turf disorders
The Behaviours of a Golf Greenkeeper
Golf club employers are very customer focused and require their apprentices to have a set of personal skills and behaviours that will ensure success in their current and future roles as an individual and in meeting the company's aims and objectives.
The behaviours required by golf club employees will be:
- Have a strong work ethic including pride in work, attention to detail, integrity and time management
- Have a flexible positive attitude to work
- Ability to work as a lone worker and as a member of a team
Why choose Writtle University College
Ranked Top University-Sector Institution in England for overall student satisfaction!
*Based on NSS 2020 Based on Taught Data
Beautiful rural campus situated between London and the coast.
Rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted
After completing an Apprenticeship at level 2, the natural progression route would be to progress on to the level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship, after which the option for continuing study would be to progress in to Higher Education or alternatively the Apprentice can progress in to full time employment within the industry.
Writtle University College
Writtle University College offers a range of land-based, design and sport courses at various levels of academic study including Postgraduate, Undergraduate, Further Education, Short Courses and Apprenticeships. We also provide students with the options of being able to study certain...
Find out more about this Golf Greenkeeper - Level 2 Apprenticeship course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!