Maths Refresher for FinanceLondon Financial Studies
Maths Refresher for Finance
Mathematics is at the heart of financial techniques, but many finance texts and courses assume a lot of prior knowledge. This programme aims to bridge the gap between mathematical theory and financial practice by providing a practical and visual approach to the most useful theories and methods. Calculations will be fully explained, and Excel spreadsheets will be used as a supporting resource to provide further examples.
Suitability - Who should attend?
"Maths Refresher for Finance" course is suitable for every profrssional who needs to develop their understanding and use of mathematics in a financial context.
Tony Sims has wide experience of teaching mathematical methods to students at all levels. He is MBA Course Director at Kingston University Business School and has been involved in delivering both short course and management development programmes for over 20 years. During this time he has acquired considerable practical experience through consulting projects in financial model development for business. Tony's teaching methods are both engaging and effective and he is well known for his skill in teaching mathematical concepts to people without a quantitative background.
Training Course Content
Numbers, Algebra and Functions
- Linear, quadratic and other polynomial functions
- Numerical methods and the Taylor series
- Role of the exponential function in Finance
- Bonds and Bond Yields
- Modelling Yield Curves with polynomials and splines
- Price optimisation using quadratics
Differentials and Calculus
- Gradients, rates of change and differential calculus
- Partial Differentials and PDEs
- Definite and indefinite integrals
- Techniques in calculus
- Bond Prices, Interest Rates and Duration
- Role of the Diffusion Equation PDE in Finance
- Matrix rules and operations
- Cofactors and Determinants
- The Portfolio Matrix
- Simultaneous equations and solutions
- Payoff Matrices
- Portfolio risk & return and the Variance-Covariance matrix
Probability and Sets
- Sets, diagrams, notation and probability laws
- Probability Trees and Discrete Probability Distributions
- Hypothesis or Significance Testing
- Probability Calculations
- Expected Monetary Value
- Significance Testing with Trading Data
Distributions and Stochastic Processes
- Real-world Distributions and Descriptive Statistics
- Theoretical probability distributions – Binomial, Normal and others
- Stochastic approaches to Financial Data
- Random walks and the Wiener Process
- Descriptive Statistics and the FTSE
- Random variables and Random walks
- Stochastic Equity Returns Modelling
Forecasting and Regression
- Time-series Approaches
- Correlation, Variance and Covariance
- Linear and multiple regression
- Real data and cautions in forecasting
- Simple linear regression
- Multiple regression forecasting models
Further Advanced Workshop Excel examples combine mathematical techniques from across the course and cover:
- Simple and Log returns, Volatility and VaR
- Log returns, Alpha, Beta and the Security Characteristic Line
- Modern Portfolio Theory and CAPM
- Modelling Bond Default with Probability Transition Matrices
Exclusive training for Capital Markets & Investment Bankers in Europe, Americas and Asia Pacific
London Financial Studies are specialists in delivering professional development for finance professionals focusing on capital markets. LFS provide individuals, teams and companies with expert teaching that combines theoretical understanding with practical experience, giving them the knowledge to operate at the...
Customer Outreach Award 2019
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Maths Refresher for Finance course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!